• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Back to School at 30?

SEA81

Have any of you ever gone back to school at 30 or over? I'm not talking about to an adult-oriented or online school; I'm talking about real school, a major state university to be exact. The school I'm looking at (where I went when I was 18), is a big party school with so many young kids, but I'm just so afraid I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Werbung:
I know a few people have gone back and really enjoyed it! It's definitely hard though and you often receive weird looks from the young kids there. If you really want to do it you definitely can! Just ignore the kids and stay secure in yourself.

In my country, once you're over 25, you don't go to school. You do go to adult education classes but going back to school is very rare in my country. After you're 25, you would probably be employed and your employer would probably send you to courses conducted by the company.

If are speaking about university, in quite a few countries especially in the southern hemisphere...going back to university after 30 is quite normal. That is mainly for postgraduate courses though, like for masters degrees etc. For certain courses, they want you to have a 'life gap' period of sorts before returning.

However, more people nowadays have to look at other options and I have heard of many people, even over 50 going back to university to do a course or so. It is awesome, and I remember when I saw many older people at university when I was younger, I was filled with admiration.

I actually have classmates who are older than 30 when I was in college and some become my friends even until now. It was nice to see them dedicated to finish studies and so they could also give inspiration or motivation.

I'm almost at that age but I've been thinking about taking some college courses at the local community college here. I don't think it'd be too strange since I recall a lot of older people in my classes when I first started college. You shouldn't let your insecurities prevent you from going to that university. You're never too young to learn.

I have attended graduate school when I was in my 30's. Fortunately, the school I went to was eclectic. There were students older than I was. There were a couple of women in their 50's in my classes. Most of the students there were serious. It's wasn't a party school (my undergraduate college was). A lot of the students worked either part or full time.

I still would have returned to school even if it was a party school. I loved being a student. I think it would be worth it. Eventually, you'll adapt.

I'm 40 and just went back to school this past January. I lost my job in September when my place of employment went out of business, and I'd been telling myself for years that if I ever lost my job, I'd go back to college. I'm going to community college though rather than a state university, because it's the community college that has the good veterinary technology program, which is what I want to do. So far, my classes have been pretty evenly mixed between "older" students like myself, and those in their late teens and early twenties, so it doesn't feel weird or awkward at all. The young people usually come to us older folks for help, too, which is kinda fun (and helps me remember the material better).

My brother went back to state university at the age of 35 (also when he was laid off from his job), and he absolutely loved it. He graduated last year and is thinking about going back for grad school.

If are speaking about university, in quite a few countries especially in the southern hemisphere...going back to university after 30 is quite normal. That is mainly for postgraduate courses though, like for masters degrees etc. For certain courses, they want you to have a 'life gap' period of sorts before returning.

However, more people nowadays have to look at other options and I have heard of many people, even over 50 going back to university to do a course or so. It is awesome, and I remember when I saw many older people at university when I was younger, I was filled with admiration.

I'm actually from New Zealand which happens to be in southern hemisphere. You're right it's not uncommon to have people of ages in undergraduate classes. In all of my papers there were people in the 40-60 age bracket and I was filled with admiration for them too. All of the students wanted to chat with these students as they had a wealth of experience and knowledge to bring to the table. There were also lots of students in their late twenties and early thirties who returned to university after finding they wanted to study something different. After all it's hard to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life at only 18 or 19.

To the original poster 30 is nowhere near old and many people your age can pass for much younger. You won't stick out nowhere near the amount you think you will, don't worry! At university you're all adults and you might find you get on really well with both the younger and older students. I remember being 18-19 and making some female friends who were 27,28 and 36 years old. Whether people get on depends on personalities and interests. Besides you already have some things in common with people who are taking the same paper. You have shared interests.

Don't worry I think if you're willing you'll have the time of your life! :cool:

In our country, people of all ages are welcome to come back to school. Sure you'll probably get a number of stares and bickering but that's just alright. I've seen a grand mother who went back to elementary school when she turned 70. I've also seen a news clip of a mom who went to school with her son and they're batch mates. She didn't know how to write and people criticized her about it. So she did what she felt was right for her.

I think going back at 30 is just fine. In fact, I admire people who take life-changing measures to fulfill themselves. Good luck and don't be scared.

Remember that the younger ones at University are always thinking of themselves so won't actually pay that much attention to you, so you won't stick out like a sore thumb :) I hope that doesn't come across wrong....I'm just trying to say that most people are so concerned and nervous about they are looking and standing out that they will either be relieved to see someone like you, confident in her skin and ready to own her power and choice, or not even notice at all!!!

You can also choose to get into the party atmosphere if you really want, or just concentrate on your study and live your own life as well. I think you'll find that you will make friends, you will have fun and absolutely love it. I went back to a college to study beauty therapy and massage therapy and had a really good time. A lot of the ones straight from school dropped out, and the ones that stayed we got on really well.

I'm also now considering going back to Uni to finish my psych degree, and think 30 is a perfect age for this!! I'm 28 now, and i know that I have the maturity, confidence and persistence that I just didn't have when I first went to Uni at 18 :)

Go for it, good luck and all the best!!

I haven't gone back and really have no interest in it. That doesn't mean I won't later, though. I think it's really awesome when people who are slightly older do go ahead and go back to school. I mean....why not? If you want to, then go!

I've thought about returning to graduate school. I think there is a big difference between a part-time student trying to finish a degree, or someone going back to be a grad student vs. someone going back full time and being 10 years older than everyone else. That would be hard to do!

My mother actually just graduated with a degree in nursing at the age of 52. She had her rough times, where the younger girls in her class would give her a difficult time. She was a dedicated student, and earned straight A's all the way through her schooling; so her classmates who were in the early 20s called her the "perfect student." But in a nasty, sarcastic manner.
She did tell me that it was very difficult for her to figure out how she learned best. And retaining the vast volume of information took her more effort than when she was half her age. However, she did love the experience, and grow as a person. Now she is starting a new career for herself, and after 6 months on the actual job, she has already been promoted to the head of nursing staff at a local hospital.

While it may seem difficult due to the age difference, my mother is a proven example that going back to school later in life can be a fantastic experience. She is already earning 10K more per year, than she did of a corporate office she worked for 23 years before being laid off.

Werbung:
I'm young but I was taking a college class at the local college this summer. There was an older woman (at least 40) taking it as well.
She was the oldest in there but she was completely confident with it. No one "frowned" upon it.

I definitely encourage you to go back to school. You'll be fine. :)

Back