• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Back to School at 30?

My mom went back to school when she was in her 40's, we even attended at the same time! She didn't stick out like a sore thumb & I doubt you will either! I'm sure you will do just fine!

Werbung:
I wouldn't worry about being over 30 and back to school. I think it is wonderful that you want to pursue a degree! Many people go back to school, I was 24 when I started some college courses. I got along with everybody there, it didn't seem to bother anybody that I was older. The only thing I would worry about in your case is people asking you to buy alcohol for parties.

Otherwise, I am sure you will do well with fitting in. The cool part is that you have more life experience then they do, just remember that :)

My mother actually just graduated with a degree in nursing at the age of 52. She had her rough times, where the younger girls in her class would give her a difficult time. She was a dedicated student, and earned straight A's all the way through her schooling; so her classmates who were in the early 20s called her the "perfect student." But in a nasty, sarcastic manner.

Wow, that's horrible that your mom's classmates were so rude to her! I'm having a completely different experience in that regard. I'm taking things much more seriously than I did the last time I went to college, and I'm also doing quite well, if I do say so myself. My classmates tease me about my high grades, but it's just that - teasing and joking around.

Sorry that your mom went through that, but it's awesome that she finally did something she loves!

It's great you're considering going back to school! Speaking as a college student who goes to a huge school, I wouldn't worry about sticking out like a sore thumb. A few posters have already commented on how students tend to be wrapped up in their own lives; this is true, especially for the bigger schools. But this can also be a problem - students of all ages complain about feeling isolated and alienated at my school.

A huge part of the college experience transcends what you're learning in a classroom, it's also about building a network and working with your peers. This is harder for older students, but don't get discouraged easily. I would recommend taking time to network and joining some clubs and organizations, particularly those geared towards mature/off-campus students. It's important to have a support group that understands your experiences in college (like even whingeing about what profs are good, and which aren't). Also, remember that young students will be positively impacted by your involvement as well. College tends to be a bubble, and if people can't see the benefit of making friends with someone who's wiser and more experienced, well, that's their loss.

Best of luck! You are amazing!

I think going back to school at any age is acceptable. I had classmates who were 83 and no one gave a darn about it. We never stop learning so don't you feel embarrassed about it at all!

Go back! If you want to, just do it.

There are non-trads at all schools and you'll find your group. You'll survive or thrive at a party school if you want to be there. And education is for everyone, not just the young 18 year olds.

I'm still in school at 27 and I'm enjoying being here. I don't mettle with the youngings very often and I have my own friends all of whom are older than me.

My university had all ages in at least 80% of my classes. Other than cooing over the newborn granddaughter of one classmate, I can't say age ever really entered my mind, and nobody else acted differently around those people.

Age doesn't matter. Surely there will be a large amount of students that will be under 25 and it is okay to be the much older one. I will be living in an apartment on campus when I'm 26 at a community college that is infested with 18-21 year olds, and I am now 25. My roommate will probably be under 20. I will feel slightly odd because I'm used to being around people much older than me. But I am not going to worry about that. Think of the education that you have been longing for. Other people doesn't matter. You just motivated me to continue on with my dream and go back to school and live on campus this coming January. Don't b afraid, you will be fine, and I wish you luck. :)

Werbung:
Well, I'm 27 and I'm still a university student. After I had got my MA in philology, I immediately decided to start studying philosophy - so now I have some classmates who are much younger than me...but it really doesn't matter since we all are adults. So don't worry and go back to school if you want - I'm sure it won't be awkward.

Back