• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

What are your thoughts on the HPV vaccine?

dconklin

HPV vaccine is an optional vaccine that is given to girls between the ages of 9 and 26. It is supposed to help protect them against the human papilloma virus which is also associated with cervical cancer. Tho it sounds great as my mom had cervical cancer and I remember her going through it, but this vaccine is still fairly new as far as I know.

I was asked by the doctor to consider it for my older daughter, but was told it is a choice - not mandatory. I am up in the air about it and trying to decide what to do. Have you thought about the HPV vaccine yet? If so, have you decided to get it for your daughter?

Werbung:
I would not do the HPV vaccine for myself or my child. Teach your child the practice of safe sex, and if they follow that they will not get HPV. Vaccines come with side effects.

I would not do the HPV vaccine for myself or my child. Teach your child the practice of safe sex, and if they follow that they will not get HPV. Vaccines come with side effects.
Yeah the side effects are what I was worried about, tho they say there usually is no side effects. I think the doctor wanted me to think about it because my Mom had cervical cancer and she was always safe with not many partners - if she even had more then my Dad as a partner. I know she went through a lot with it and still has the effects of all the radiation they used during the process and she had it over 20 years ago. But I also do not like all the vaccines and I even do not agree with the flu shot so I usually do not get it for my kids. They have had all the required vaccines tho.

I haven't really thought too much about it, my doctor never asked me anything about it, I have heard about it though.
I think that you should make the decision based on what you want, If I had watched one of my family members go through cervical cancer, it's very likely that I would be very tempted to get the shot and I don't actually have to much against it for the most part. I typically shy away from un-needed shots, but I'm not really against shots. Even safe sex comes with side effects. Hpv is so common that nearly all sexually active people get it at some point in their lives and a lot of people don't know or never will know, so they don't know they are passing it on. It can be transferred from the mother to the baby as well.

I haven't really thought too much about it, my doctor never asked me anything about it, I have heard about it though.
I think that you should make the decision based on what you want, If I had watched one of my family members go through cervical cancer, it's very likely that I would be very tempted to get the shot and I don't actually have to much against it for the most part. I typically shy away from un-needed shots, but I'm not really against shots. Even safe sex comes with side effects. Hpv is so common that nearly all sexually active people get it at some point in their lives and a lot of people don't know or never will know, so they don't know they are passing it on. It can be transferred from the mother to the baby as well.
Yeah hpv is pretty common from what I had heard. My Mom had the cancer at a time when they didn't know as much about it (over 20 years ago) as they do now. I do not want my kids to have to go through what she went through and I am hoping that I don't go through it either. I am too old for the vaccine. I guess they only give it out up to age 26 and I am 36.

I just worry about complications from vaccines that are new. Kind of like medications that were new and given then suddenly years later are linked to heart attacks and other complications. Things like that worry me!

Yeah hpv is pretty common from what I had heard. My Mom had the cancer at a time when they didn't know as much about it (over 20 years ago) as they do now. I do not want my kids to have to go through what she went through and I am hoping that I don't go through it either. I am too old for the vaccine. I guess they only give it out up to age 26 and I am 36.

I just worry about complications from vaccines that are new. Kind of like medications that were new and given then suddenly years later are linked to heart attacks and other complications. Things like that worry me!

Yeah, that's what worries me too.. but I guess either way life it a sort of gamble, anything can lead to something bad so all you can do is make informed decisions and do you what think you should do.

Werbung:
Yeah, that's what worries me too.. but I guess either way life it a sort of gamble, anything can lead to something bad so all you can do is make informed decisions and do you what think you should do.

Yeah it is just harder to come to a decision when it is your kid's health - at least that is the problem for me. The doctors have been recommending it but then again the doctors all recommended me to be on Depo years ago and now I am facing problems from it and the FDA went from it being ok to putting a black box warning on it.

I have a hard time trusting pharmaceutical companies I think!

Back