• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Vivisection

thistle

We've all seen the horrific images of animal being tested for medical and cosmetic use and I think it's fair to say that most of us are deadly against this practice...

However...

Imagine that you or a loved one have ben diagnosed with a painful/deadly disease and the doctor says to you "I have a drug that will cure/lessen the symptoms of your disease but it was rigorously tested on animals which suffered greatly"

Would you refuse the treatment? or would you accept it?

I have no doubts at all that I would demand my doctor write that prescription there and then and yet I am against the testing drugs and absolutely the testing of cosmetics on animals.

Am I a hypocrite for wanting a cure even though it may have cost hundreds of animals a painful death?

Werbung:
You like to pick the tough questions, don't you.
<

I think that all medications have been tested on animals... maybe some worse than others, but I don't think there are 'safe' medications.

It's a tough question - you feel guilty, but are people really willing to put their health/lives on the line for their beliefs?

I don't know if I would. When it comes down to it I'd likely take the treatment.

The animals ALREADY suffered what will not taking the cure do other then put your own life at risk..... Thats a silly question...
<

Tsk Subby you missed the point
<

If you are morally against the use of animals for testing medicines then shouldn't it follow that you should be morally opposed to receiving the benefits of that testing?

Without animal testing there wouldn't be a lot of the drugs we have today. Until there is a better alternative I don't think it should be abandoned.

Now cosmetics, those should be tested on people. There's no sense at all in tarting up a baboon. Although it does make me giggle.

I would say no.I am highly against animal testing in any way shapeor form. Anything that has caused a living creature extended pain is off limits to me. Every medication that I use and every cosmetic that I wear have not been tested on animals. I could never live with myself knowing that I was being kept alive by something that has killed the innocent.

Every medicine and every cosmetic has once been tested on animals. If not the complete product, than it's ingredients. If not now, than in the past. If it's not done in your country, than maybe it's done in a third world country. Quite possible.

I hate torturing animals, or any living creature for that matter (yes, even plants!), but you have to live and you have to weigh pro's and con's.

So I do not use cosmetic that has been tested on animals, but still - when I need a cream which is a medicine that borders cosmetic, or vice-versa, usually, those things have been tested on animals (for example, acne creams recommeded by doctors). And I take them. I also use contact lenses, which is actually a medical apparatus, but I like wearing them for a lot of reasons, one of them, an important one, is esthetics. Sure, I can't dance with my glasses, cause they fall off my nose, my glasses often blur, and they irritate me, but also - I look better with lenses, than with glasses. So are they also cosmetic in a way?

I never use make up, lotions, soaps, shampoos and other soley cosmetic products that have been tested on animals. Hair colors are hard to find, impossible, but still I use at least those that are on a "grey list".

Basically, I use medicine that has been tested on animals, and every medicine is tested on humans after it had been tested on animals. I'd take anything that can save my life, or lives of the ones I love..including my pet!
I wish they found a better way..till then, I do not feel guilty or responsible for using medicines.

Girls, you should also know - every brand of contraceptive pills has been tested on animals.

Well. I am definately against the testing of products on animals, too. But there are just not enough people willing to risk themselves for the sake of science. I will admit that I take several medications that were tested on animals. One of those is my blood pressure medication. Without that I wouldn't be able to dance or play soccer or tennis, I'd be hooked up to oxygen, and chances are I'd end up dying a really early death before I even got the chance to speak out against animal testing and make a difference.

Here's the thing. You shouldn't feel guilty about it because it's your life. I'm aware that it was their lives as well... But that has already happened. And it always, always will. Their lives have been put up so that you can get well. And as long as animal testing is not going to change, their lives are just being wasted if the product is untouched to save lives.

And weigh it out as well. Millions of lives are saved because those poor, brave animals have made that possible. I don't even know what else to say to make people understand what I'm trying to say. But I definately love animals... and I refuse to use any animal tested products aside from the medications I have to take to stay alive.

That's it ^_^

Well, consider that ALL your medications have been tested on animals, including Aspirin, insulin, allergy medication, etc. So, if you take ANY of these wouldn't you be considered a hypocrite?

Or if you smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol? EVERYTHING has been tested on animals - it's very, very hard to abstain from it.

I think it's easy at this point to say "I wouldn't take this treatment" but when it comes down to it... I think we all would. When you start to see the toll illnesses can have on you AND your family, you start to change your tune.

Today, yes (artificial cells), but ingredients of some products that are on market probably have to be tested on animals. Make up usually doesn't, medications usually do. Both are then tested on humans before they reach the shelfs.

Werbung:
hmmmm... i would think about it and reserch for any more cures for the problem and if there is i would not exept the offer that the doctor talked bout' if there was not i would either suffer the consiquenses of the problem or (depends on the problem like if it was a UTI vs. Mesotheimioma) take the offer BUT then try to fund animal rights activits or charities for animal rights. y'know thats hard to deside

Back