• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Taxidermy

thistle

I watched this show last night about taxidermy and it really made me angry.

Now I have NOTHING against taxidermy, I am not creeped out by animals being mounted in the slightest but some of these people really made my blood boil.

One girl of about 8ish was into taxidermy in a big way. Both her parents did it so it was natural to her. She had been brought up to hunt deer which I have no problem with, they used the deer they shot as food and she was a damn good shot. BUT there was something vaguely disturbing at seeing such a small child look so delighted and squeal with excitement as her father handed her the heart of the animal she had just shot. But again, at least this child was under no illussions where her food came from and she genuinely seemed to have some respect for the animal which she had killed and would then eat and mount the skin of.

Another guy however wa a different story. His dream was to mount a leopard. So off he went to Africa to get one. He got himself a guide and shot an antelope to use as bait. Instead of a leopard showing up they got a lion. He admitted he didn't want to mount a lion but he shot it anyway because it was there. He ecventually got his leopard but not until he had shot up half the country to use as bait or just for fun.

Then came the line that made me scream abuse at the telly....."I like the thought of being able to take something lifeless and restore it's beauty and make it LOOK like it's alive and back in the wild". WTF? it WAS alive and in the wild, you MADE it lifeless. This guy has no respect for the animals he professes to love so much, to him they are there purely for him to kill at will just to satisfy his hobby.

People like him make me sick, I know a taxidermist and I have the greatest respect for him. He NEVER kills an animal just so he can stuff them. ALL his specimens have either been killed by accident, put to sleep or died of natural causes. But morons like this guy in Americ are giving people like him a bad name.

*rants*
<

Werbung:
The wee puppy one was sad... but i never watched it all.. couldnt be bothered listening to people going on about stuffing animals lol

Werbung:
<
. What schmucks! Jeepers that's relaly disgusting. Did you know they do cullings of zebra in Africa? It's because they breed like rabbits WITHOUT LIONS TO KEEP THEIR POPULATION IN CHECK. Hmmm now, who's fault is this? *seething anger* I found that out when we went to this weird store a while back and there was a coffee table with what looked like a zebra skin on it and my sister and I were touching it to try work out whether it was real. It was. We high-tailed it outta there pretty fast, I'll tell you that much...

It's a bit worrying that girl was so delighted? Not particularly strong in empathy (the natural kind) though I guess if she showed respect then she wont become like that crazy man with a creepy obsession...

Back