• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Sticky Fingers

thistle

Ummmm yeah, as you may have guessed I now have to deal with the fact that amongst my staff is a thief
<

To set the scene.

Approx 3 weeks ago one of my staff poned to ask if any money had been found in the staff area....I said no and double checked, she told me that the day before she had withdrawn $60 (sorry no pound sign on the laptop) at the bank on her way to work, when she went to get her shopping after work she had no money in her purse. As Carol (not real name) ALWAYS uses her locker we put it down to the fact that she must have lost the money elsewhere...

Yesterday I sent Carol for her break and she went across the road to get some food shopping. When she came back she asked to speak to me in private....she told me that when she got to the checkout and took her purse out her bag $20 was missing.

Now given that her purse was in her locker, normally I would say that she must be mistaken however....here comes the interesting part...

When I hired Carol, I gave her the key to locker numder 7, a week later I hired a girl called Laurie (again not real name) ... on my day off Brian also told her to use locker number 7 and she took the key and kept it on her keyring. As all the girls work part time and we are short of lockers, I asked if they minded sharing and gave Carol the spare key to no'7.

Now....Laurie told me she lost her locker key so she just used whatever locker was empty when she started her shift.

I am faced with 2 possibilities here..either Laurie is lying and still has that key and has used it to steal money from Carol ....or.... she is telling the truth and someone has found the key and is using it to steal money from Carol.
<

I have already discounted the possibility that Carol is lying or mistaken because she was distraught yesterday at losing this money and as I have already said I KNOW she cannot be mistaken because I KNOW she checks her purse when she arrives at work.

There were only 4 people that could possibly have removed that money yesterday...myself, Brian, Tina and Laurie. I know it wasn't me, Tina I would trust with my life and Brian has access to thousands of pounds in the safe so would hardly risk his job for a measly $20.

My gut tells me that Laurie is lying about losing the key but unless I find the key in her possession I can't prove it
<
. In the meantime I have given Carol MY locker to use and taken her key to number 7 which means I do not have a locker as I do not want to risk using number 7 and have to lock my purse in the office (against company policy). In theory I should now be the only person with access to number 7 right? 2morro myself and Brian are gonna boobytrap the locker to see if it gets opened. Just a simple trap with fishing line, after every member of staff takes a break or is even in the vicinity of the lockers we are gonna check whether the seal has been broken.....if it has we have found our culprit and a thorough staff search should in theory find the key....in THEORY.

I hate this....I detest the fact that someone I emloyed is a thief, I could cope with someone dipping their fingers in the till (still would sack them mind you) but to steal from a workmate is the lowest of the low especially when you consider that Carol is only 25(ish) and has 4 kids under 7 years old, has a disabled partner and is supporting her entire family on her meagre part time wage PLUS it's the week before damn Xmas !!!! I had to give this poor woman $20 out my own damn pocket so she could feed her kids until payday !!!!!!!

I have no doubts about Carol's honesty, her reaction yesterday was so upsetting she could not possibly have faked it......Laurie on the other hand? well lets just say I have heard enough to make me doubt her honesty but I am powerless without proof
<

I hope that the culprit is found next week, I hate the thought of sacking someone the week before Xmas but if it has to be done then so be it.

Werbung:
We had a similar issue in a shop I worked in many moons ago. The Police were called and the culprit dealt with.
Personally I would call the Police and let them deal with it.
Call a meeting, tell the staff what is happening and then hopefully either the culprit will put back the money or be scared enough to own up. Whichever way the sooner it's dealt with the better. You definately don't want a thief in your employment. Poor you this must suck!

P.S Booby trap sounds like a plan, just don't let on that Carol is not using the locker anymore. Maybe mark some money inconspicuousl, red dot or similar. If anything then goes missing during the day then ask to search everyone's bags. Of course they can say no because this is their right but you then only have to mention 'Police' and I am sure they will.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
P.S Booby trap sounds like a plan, just don't let on that Carol is not using the locker anymore. Maybe mark some money inconspicuousl, red dot or similar. If anything then goes missing during the day then ask to search everyone's bags. Of course they can say no because this is their right but you then only have to mention 'Police' and I am sure they will.[/b]

I asked Carol not to swap our names over on the lockers so that no one would get suspicious. Bag searches are gonna be carried out at the end of everyone's shifts....they CAN'T say no because it is written into everyone's contracts that they WILL make themselves available to searches as and when management require
<
and if that involves people removing their shoes then that's what they do. IF nothing is found during the search then I will consider calling in security and/or the police but I'm hoping to catch whoever it is before it comes to that.

OK it's moved up a step now
<

Obviously Carol is unhappy that things are still un resolved so came in today to ask if she could call in the police.....so of course I said yes she could, at the end of the day it's theft and it was her right to report it as we haven't been able to resolve anything.

So.....they were in today and took a few details from me about Laurie and the whole supposedly lost locker key thing. They were off to speak to her previous employer about rumours that were going around when she was working there and once they have done that they apparently have enough evidence against her to call her into the station for questioning :s ...... she's supposed to be at work in 1 hour (guess who's waiting for the phonecall to say she won't be there and I have to go back in lol,

PERSONALLY I would be happier if they questioned all three people who were at work on both occassions that money went missing ...... that would be Laurie, myself and Brian but they have decided that the key thing is enough to single her out. Now I really hope it WAS her because otherwise I have lost a member of staff because lets face it she aint gonna come back to work after being questioned by the police.

Sometimes I hate my job
<

Edit: Lauries partner as just been in the shop shouting abuse at Brian and informing him that she will not be working for this f***ing company any longer. Dammit I hope it was her or her Xmas has been ruined for nothing ..... oh and she and partner live 2 doors along from my sister in law....we're sposed to be going up there on Xmas Eve for a few drinks and he is a nasty violent piece of sh*t. I can quite honestly say that I am quite nervous about him being outside when we go up and damn sure that we aint leaving the car parked outside overnight like we had planned to or I don't think there'll be much of it left the next morning.

Werbung:
I feel so bad tho
<

I've known Laurie for a few years and (like every member of my staff) I think of her as first and foremost a friend. Obviously that friendship has gone forever. I feel like I have sacked her on a gut feeling, in reality I KNOW that I had nothing to do with involving the police and the decision to quit was her's and her's alone but I can't help feeling like I have wrecked someone's Xmas.

If nothing else I have learned NEVER to employ someone I already know ..... I feel like crap about this and can't stop thinking about the fact that it might NOT have been her at all. I seriously wish the police had called me in as well at least I could then look her in the eye and tell her she was not singled out
<

Back