• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Social Media Bullying

tater03

It seems like this is becoming a really big problem. It's bad enough that you have to worry about bullying in school, but to have it come to your front door in the form of social media is outrageous. The sad thing is that there are even more bullies now, because it's easy to sit behind a computer screen and bash somebody. I have two sons and am so glad that they are not yet interested in having a Facebook or other social media page. Not to say that they won't, but right now they're not interested. What are your thoughts on this? Has anyone had this problem with bullying online?

Werbung:
It seems like this is becoming a really big problem. It's bad enough that you have to worry about bullying in school, but to have it come to your front door in the form of social media is outrageous. The sad thing is that there are even more bullies now, because it's easy to sit behind a computer screen and bash somebody. I have two sons and am so glad that they are not yet interested in having a Facebook or other social media page. Not to say that they won't, but right now they're not interested. What are your thoughts on this? Has anyone had this problem with bullying online?
People who "cyber bully" are too afraid to say things to peoples' faces and think they are completely anonymous, when they are not. If the harassment gets bad enough the police can easily identify the bully. (IP addresses and E-Mail, people!) Cyber bullies, and any other bully, for that matter, are all cowards if you ask me.

Amen. Sadly, some parents that I have run across are not aware of that their children are even on some of the social media sites or unaware that bullying has become a problem on them. As parents it is hard to keep up with all the new technology our kids are using, but it is something that we have to make an effort on, so that we are aware of problems such as these.

I first started using the internet when I was just 9-years-old. I was bullied a lot in real life, but online I didn't get bullied as much. However, I was still very sensitive to what people said to me on the internet. One time one of my accounts got hacked and I cried for weeks. I'm much older now, and honestly it doesn't affect me. Once you use the internet for several years, you practically become immune to any slander and find ways to cleverly retort. Unless they're skilled in hacking, bullies are pretty much powerless on the internet because you can easily block them or hide your identity online.

I agree in some cases you can block them. Sadly, though it seems that some people want to see what others are saying about them. When you are younger it is all about being accepted and if you're not being accepted, even online, I imagine it can feel very alone and hurtful.

I have not experienced being bullied online and I have never bullied someone online. But I could see a lot of my friends bullying or saying bad things to someone (although not mentioning names). I actually hate to see them do it but I just do not comment since it is their own thing and they are not mentioning names. But it was sometimes pretty obvious to whom they are pertaining those awful words.

I started using the internet back in 2000 when I was 15 and this guy started talking to me on ICQ but I didn't know he had a girlfriend (wouldn't have mattered anyway though, cause I had no interest in him, I thought we were just friends). So anyway, his girlfriend started posting these sites about me calling me horrible names and you can imagine what else... And then the guy started going along with it cause I wouldn't go out with him... they even photoshoped some really sexual images of me (which looking back on it, were SO obviously fake but when you're 15 that kind of thing can be devestating).

The sad thing is that cyber bullying isn't just limited to kids. In my town everyone in the world using Topix.com which is a site where you can find a forum for your particular town and you're allowed to post annonymously and people accuse each other of the most horrible things on there...it's really pathetic that these so called adults don't have anything better to do with their time and that they're too chicken to tell someone what they think to their face.

Instead of cyber-bullying being an anomaly, it is becoming the 'in thing to do'. It is crazy how people will say things online, but wouldn't even dream of saying anything close to what they type in real life. They hide behind fake names, saying and doing things to purposely hurt others. It is so sad. The internet is a wonderful tool. You can find useful information, and sometimes, make new friends. The bullying stuff needs to be stopped.

The thing that concerns me is the privacy concerns. For example, if somebody decides to bully you online by posting private photos or information, you don't just have to worry about the bullies who posted it. Now you have to worry about being exposed to a whole world of potential wackos forever, because you can never remove the information. I tell my kid to keep anything private to himself, even with people he thinks are friends, but that doesn't help with things like that kid who had his roommate secretly recording him with a webcam.

The stories that I hear are really sad, and some kids just have no idea what they're doing. There are so many cases of teen suicides because of cyberbullying, and it really freaks me out. In fact, there was one girl who was 14 years old, I think her name was Danni Saunders, she was bullied to the point of suicide, and even after she died, there were still rude remarks on her tribute page! It's just extremely sad.

If there is someone who had greatly bullied online, it would be Rebecca Black. She was bullied on youtube because of her song "Friday" which spread like an open fire in the news and even to other social networking sites. Her youtube video had reached a tremendous number of view however, 90% of the comments are hateful.

Werbung:
Social media bullying was inevitable - as it is people using it, and it is people who bully. It is true that the apparent anonymity could worsen its affects.

I think it could be used as an opportunity for someone to strengthen themselves in the face of adversity and more importantly, create an even greater opportunity to open up channels whereby bullies actually get punished.

I hate bullies and know that there is a special place in bully hell for them.

Back