• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Severe Nappy Rash - Help!!

Lottie

Hey Girls

Alex has the most dreadful nappy rash, his botty in a couple of places is so red and he has little spots that are beginning to bleed.
I feel so useless as to know what to do about this I am thinking about taking him to the Doctors.

This is what I have been doing any other advice would be really appreciated:

-I don't use wet wipes on his bottom because he is sensitive to them, Instead I use warm water and cotton wool to wipe. I have always done this.
- Right now I am changing his nappy every two hours and putting him straight in the bath to make sure everything is totally clean . Even though I am meticulous at cleaning him anyway.
- I have always used Sudocrem on his botty. I am still using SUDOCREM on his bottom. I thought it was meant to be brilliant but it's not helping at all, infact I think its got worse!
- I swapped nappy brand from Huggies to Pampers and still no different.
- I am letting him kick around in the buff for a little airing and still nothing.

Today I have been to the pharmacy and bought BEPANTHEN so I am trying that for 24 hours.....

<
<

Werbung:
Is he teething? Baby bums often develop nappy rash during teething. I think you are doing as much as you can
<

Have you tried Vaseline? It's more of a barrier than a treatment, but it may help prevent peepees getting directly onto his skin?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The baby can also get a bacterial infection in the area where the nappy is. This can happen if there has been a small scratch on your baby's skin or if their skin has been weakened by a sustained rash, allowing bacteria to grow easily. The baby's skin will then be red, warm and swollen, and the baby may also get a fever. If your baby has these symptoms, you need to contact your doctor.

What can you do about a nappy rash?
Some babies only experience it once in a while, whereas others experience it time and again. No one knows the reason for these differences in the skin, but some babies just seem more sensitive than others.

The best way to treat an ordinary nappy rash, or nappy rash caused by a fungal infection, is to let it get some air. It is a good idea to leave the baby's nappy off for about an hour a few times a day.

It also helps to change the baby's nappy often. When the rash is at its worst, it may be necessary to change the nappy up to 12 times a day. Dry the baby's bottom carefully after each change.

It is important to wash the baby's bottom every time you change the nappy. If your baby has only wet their nappy, use warm water. If the baby has dirtied their nappy, use a little soap, but remember to always rinse in warm water to make sure there is no soap left on the baby's skin.

Fixed faeces can be removed by using ordinary cooking oil on a wad of cotton wool. Do not use baby wipes, as they can sting and dry the skin out and the chemicals in them can make the rash worse.

If your baby has nappy rash or very sensitive skin it is a good idea to protect it with a thick barrier cream after every wash. To protect the red skin, you can use a zinc paste or barrier cream, which is available at the chemist: zinc forms a protective surface over the skin. Weak hydrocortisone creams (eg Dermacort) can be used for severe cases, but these should not be used without consulting your doctor first.

Try dressing the baby in woollen underwear on top of the nappy instead of plastic pants.

If using disposable nappies, try switching to cloth nappies. Sometimes changing to another type of nappy will help.

What if the nappy rash just gets worse?
If the nappy rash does not get better in a few days, or gets worse, talk to your doctor or health visitor. If the baby's skin turns even more red, warm and swollen, and the baby gets a temperature, you should also contact a doctor immediately as the nappy rash may be caused by a bacterial infection that requires medical treatment.

How to tell the differences between nappy rashes
An ordinary nappy rash is very red, but not bright red. The baby feels well in general, only feeling a sting when they are wet, or dirty themselves. The redness does not reach into the folds of the skin and disappears a few days after giving their bottom some air, using zinc cream and frequently changing nappies. Get advice from a health visitor or doctor if the rash continues.

A fungal infection is bright red. Check if the baby is red in the folds of the skin as well. The fungus can grow there too. Your baby will get very upset and cry when you change their nappy. The ordinary advice such as airing the bottom and frequent nappy changes is often not enough to improve the condition. If zinc paste for children does not help, contact a doctor.

A bright red, very warm and swollen nappy rash may be caused by a bacterial infection. The baby may be in a bad mood and have a fever. If so, contact a doctor.
[/b]

Source: netdoctor

Joey used to get the same kind of diaper rash. Christina is right it does sound like a yeast infection. I used to get a cream made by my pharmacist (recommended by my doctor). It was a mixture of 50% Canesten (clotrimazole 1%) cream (same as what women use for yeast infection) and 50% Hydracortisone cream 0.5 %. You should ask your doctor about that as you might need a prescription for it in th UK (it's sold over the counter here) Keep his diaper off as much as possible and you can use ordinary corn starch instead of talcum powder to help absorb wetness in his diaper.

Yeah my little girl had a rash very similar and the doctor told me is was thrush i think thats the same as a yeast infection it sounds like you need a medicated cream for it and also try a barrier cream it will stop and moisture getting to it and making it sore.

Hi Girls,

Thanks for your tips and advice ((hugs))) , it's really appreciated. I called the Docotor last night because Alex had a temperature, it went down after a dose of Calpol. The Doctor told me to get Canestan Hydrocortisone (fungal treatment cream). He said if it hasn't started to clear in 24 hours or he gets a high temperature again to bring him to the surgery.

So from what I have read in your responses and what the doctor said it may well be a yeast infection.
<
I will see how this cream does today. I will also go on the hunt for some corn starch too.

Snowy, yes he is teething . Two front top teeth are now coming through his gums and caused him a little pain the other night.
<

I will keep you upto date.

Thankyou again .
<
I really thought for a moment I was a terrible mother. I feel so guilty, It makes me feel better to see that it doesn't just happen to Alex.
<

Hmm there is a slight problem. I read through the leaflet that came with this Canestan H cream and it says NOT to apply to broken skin. I am not sure whether I should be applying this now because Alex's skin is broken and bleeding slightly. So I spoke to a pharmacist and he said not to put it on him, to contact a Doctor who should give him something stronger....

With the high temp he had and this I am beginning to panic and think it's bacterial.

So now I am going to phone the Doctor up again, at the weekend...and see what they say about this. Bloudy NHS service!!! I am pretty annoyed now.

I went to see a Doctor with Alex yesterday evening. Alex did a massive smelly poopy in his nappy just as the Doctor was taking a look. LOL! (Thats my boy). It is a fungal infection and I can use the Canestan H on him. I am just relieved that someone has now seen him and that there is something that can be done.
<

Werbung:
Just an update. Metanium Nappy Rash Ointment is excellent at clearing up bad nappy rash!! You can buy it over the counter here in the UK.
I use it all the time on Alex now even though his rash has cleared up.
<

Back