• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Rude People Who Work In Retail

SEA81

I was having a perfectly good day today until I ran by the grocery store to get some light bulbs and something to eat for lunch. My driver's license was recently renewed, but something isn't right on it (and I have proof from the state to show anyone I write a check to or if I get pulled over), and I've had no problems so far... but this girl who rung my stuff up refused to call her manager to get it approved, because I was her last customer before her break. I've had other problems with employees in this store but this was the last straw. Another cashier was loitering, and she came over to ask what was wrong. She told her, "This lady didn't pay to get her license renewed and wants to write a bad check or something." That was not even what I told her! Argh! She then asked me in a very irritated tone if I even had a way to pay for my groceries. I took some cash out of my purse and handed it to her, but then I was like, you know what, I'm not spending another dime in this store!

Anyway, aside from that, my day has been decent, but how often have you had a rude customer service person almost ruin your day? I worked in retail all through high school and college, and I NEVER treated anyone like that!

Werbung:
I've had a few people in retail be really rude to me before. Whenever this happens I always go out of my way to get the manage and explain the situation and how offended I am. Sometimes if it is bad enough the employee gets fired. I have also worked in retail when I was younger and never been rude to anyone. Some people just don't deserve their jobs.

Though my case isn't exactly a case of "rudeness", I do find it irritating when you're walking around a boutique or something and the saleslady always pesters you with things, telling you to buy this or buy that. Or offering you to try this and that. It's really annoying. Excessive service isn't always a good thing.

Yes, I have experienced bad service in the past - but never that bad. If I am annoyed, I call the manager and even take it above the manager by threatening to write a post online about the terrible service at their store.

It always gets results. She is there to serve YOU. Nothing more, nothing less. People like that should not even have jobs while other awesome people unemployed.

I am so irritated after reading your story. You should call and complain to your manager. If you still have your receipt, they can look up who she was or you can just tell them what she looked like. If the manager doesn't sympathize then you can call corporate and get her fired. Some people are just flat out rude and shouldn't be allowed to ruin people's days like that.

The last rudeness I experienced was in a supermarket when the cashier seems to be irritated about something and she was like just dumping my groceries in a plastic. I looked at her and she can tell I was irritated but she just go on with it and also give me an irritated look. I did not say anything bad cause I do not want to ruin my day and it may cause her termination.
The next day I again went in that supermarket and choose her as the cashier for my groceries again, then I gave her an irritated look and I am sure she remembered me, so she seems nicer that day. Cause if not, I will definitely go to the customer service and report her.

I guess these people are just human too. Perhaps they too are having a bad day. I think front line people like cashiers and bank tellers should be given pep talk or some kind of motivation before they open their counter so that they don't let what's bugging them in their personal life to interfere with their jobs. It will give the company a really bad image.

And like SE18 has pointed out, the company may lose a customer. It has been discovered that a dissatisfied customer will tell ten other friends about a less than satisfactory service but a satisfied customer seldom if ever tells anyone of a good service. So it's best to keep the dissatisfaction of customers at a low level.

A friend of mine works in retail. I guess I should share that they do get a majority of people who come in and are unreasonable. I'm not saying you were, just saying that some of them have their fair share of people they can't stand and wish they were out of the job as well. I guess I would just say on the side perhaps these people were in a rush. Like you said the girl was about to be on her break perhaps she had to make a call to someone she really cares about and the only time is to talk during break time. I don't know, it's still not an excuse to be rude, but if you think about it, it sure puts the situation in a different perspective, I guess.

As for the people who come up to others in the store trying to sell. It's been told to them over 1000 times to do it by their boss. It's not like they LOVE chasing you down, they have to do it, to keep their job. Example: Those people at the movie theatre that always offer you candy in this automatic tone every time. It's because they HAVE to say it. So yeah, they don't hate you - you just were the unlucky one their boss/ manager threw them to go help.

I really do hate it when things like that happen. And yes, I do know how you feel. I hate dealing with really rude cashiers. My sister and I had finished shopping and we were waiting to get our things rung up by the cashier girl. It wasn't busy at the time and so we were first in line. Instead of helping us, the girl completely ignored us and was talking and joking around with her co-worker. She turned around, saw us and continued to ignore us. We didn't say anything and decided to wait. After a while, her manager came walked by and told her to help us. She actually rolled her eyes and gave us the attitude while ringing our stuff up. Apparently, she wasn't happy that we interrupted her conversation. I didn't say anything but gave her a dirty look. But my sister started chewing her out on the spot. The funny thing was that she was doing it in a really nice way.

Wow that was just plain rude, sometimes people only think about themselves, and given that they work with clients and the public, they should have thought of being polite and well mannered towards others. You should have contacted the manager!

I try not to judge or anything like that. I know that people in retail have to deal with all walks of life day in and out and may come
across some people that are real douchebags, but being African American, I've actually been followed from aisle to aisle, in a poorly
disguised attempt to 'watch me'. My mother is a shoe fanatic, and every year I buy her a snazzy pair of heels or sandals for her
birthday. So I decided to get her shoes from Ferragamo while I was in California for business. One, I had on a pair of tiny shorts
and a T shirt, no bags yet because this was my first stop,I was WAY intimidated with the whole Rodeo Drive mentality, so unless
I'm Houdini, I wasn't successfully hiding anything on my body and 2, when I first asked the saleslady if I could see a pair of Louboutin's
I had seen in the window, she scoffed at me. I had heard of people being treated this way while shopping, but I was truly shocked and
disappointed for this to happen to me. I thought these kind of actions were outdated and antiquated in nature, I truly didn't believe
people still felt this way.

Werbung:
I truly respect anyone who does any kind of customer service. I have been on both sides. I don't do well with rude retail people. I try to be very cordial. I speak to them politely and have my ducks in order. I try to let it go because I know they may not know how to deal with difficult customers or put their personal problems aside.

Back