• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

*panic*

Potholer

Our rabbit has had a very bad day and it has resulted in much panicking and worry for me and my friend Emilie, his co-owner.

First of, we booked him in for neutering this morning and we took him in. But there was a kerfuffle keeping him in his cage and as he tried to jump back out again he managed to basically tear off 2 of his claws. Blood everywhere. Worry. Em tried to bandage him until we could get him to the vet but blood went everywhere and it didn't work really so we got him there and Em is all covered in blood and they're like "Oh, you haven't fed him? He's meant to have a full stomach, only cats and dogs have to fast. But that's ok we'll give him some food before he goes in" and we were all "*facepalm* stupid receptionist".

There was also annoyingness trying to get the car cos I share a car with my sister and it just so happens she was going to Oamaru for the morning (hours drive away or so?) and was like "Nah, you can't have the car, I'm going to Oamaru" so it took some coaxing and arguing to get her to pick us up on the way to getting a trailer (and from the trailer fetching she'd be leaving Dunedin straight away) and dropping us off at the vet on the way to said trailer and she gets to ours and me and Em are all worried cos he's leaking blood left right and centre.

But anyways, left him for the day, then get a call saying they want to hold on to him for an extra hour - why??? On the way home from the vet, the bandage that is meant to be left on for 24 hours ("though don't worry if it comes off sooner") comes off and we can see some sort of bulge under his belly and he's leaking thick thick blood all over the place AGAIN. We get him home, take him out and give him all his favourite foods which he doesn't eat. He sort of hobbles about every so often, sometimes licks himself and then sits in the licking position but still as a statue for several seconds and hours later he's stil leaving blood spots around the place and really not moving. So we rang the vet but they were closed and it gave us another number which gave us ANOTHER number and the woman says "hmmm sounds like his guts are hanging out, he'll be fine for the night, bring him in tomorrow"
Em: "But will the vet be open on saturday?"
Woman: "Ah, they should be *blatant trying to get off the phone*"

So we tracked down another after hours vet who said he CAN'T last the night and really needs surgery so we tracked down ANOTHER car cos our car is sick right now and so Lucius is currently in surgery. Well, actually, he was meant to be finished half an hour ago and the vet call us but he hasn't but we've been in my room with the door closed so maybe we haven't heard it ring? But I gave my cellphone too....

We'll be picking him up tomorrow morning. Scary though cos he's been under anesthetic twice today and apparently 1 in 100 rabbits don't wake up from anesthetic, compared to 1 in 1000 cats....

<

Werbung:
((((((Potty))))))) I'm so sorry bunny is having so much hassle due to what sounds like a possible botched 1st surgery?

Keep us updated on how he is!

*deep breath*

Ok he's home safe and sound, slightly sluggish and not too good at getting in and out of his litter tray and by the looks of things he's just staying in there to save the trouble heh. We've set up a little area at the end of the hall for him with toys and the shredded paper the second vets gave us and a bedsheet to lie on and lots of hay and all his favourite foods.

We picked him up this morning. Apparently the afterhours vet stayed up til 1:45am checking on him and we didn't get a phone call til about midnight (we met the vet at 10:15pm). After we got him from the afterhours vet, we went back to the original one to tell them what happened and that we weren't happy about it and I wanted Em to do the talking cos I can't put my foot down and tell people when I'm unimpressed/annoyed with them but Em got one word out to describe the state he was in and started crying so I had to take over anyway.... It was horrible. But the first vets gave us free antibiotics at least and we're going to look at getting reimbursed or something because afterhours cost $250 and we SHOULD have taken him to the orginal vet but that chick on the phone gave the vibe that she wasn't really all that interested and she was in mosgiel rather than north dunedin so wouldn't have been the original vet anyway so it made sense to get keen guy to do it.

But man, I feel like an official pet owner now. He was originally a spur of the moment thing and we've given him food and given him a home and whatnot but now we've gotten him spayed and had a near death experience and rushed (sort of) to the emergency vet for life saving-ness and forked out a ton of money to make sure he gets the care he needs.

God it's good to have him home.

Oh and we had to walk the first vets through what happened with the phone calls and stuff and how we got like 3 numbers to call and how no one answered us and what happened to the lead up to taking Lucius to the after hours vet and told us to call on monday to talk to the vet who surgeried him in the first place so we called but he was out to lunch and was meant to call us back before 2pm but it's now 20 past.... Soon I think I'll ring again cos we really have to express how unimpressed we are. The SPCA suggested us going to this particular vet, the vet let Lucius out when he was still bleeding and had kept him for an extra hour, that chick we talked to who wasn't all that interested should have been more interested in treating our rabbit! It's her job for goodness sake!

And their post-op care leaves something to be desired.

GAH. If we hadn't have taken Lucius in when we had, his guts could have twisted within the abdominal sack and caused all sorts of complications and that woman said it was fine to leave overnight. God it makes me angry cos he totally could have died. I haven't told my parents how much it cost cos they were pretty unimpressed when they found out I'd gotten a rabbit but we used to have a cat so they must have some sort of idea how much an after hours vet costs....

I'm so glad he's home with you guys!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like he has lots of caring people to look after him
<

Werbung:
Me too!!!! He's basically back to his normal self now, nibbling things he shouldn't and doing anything for something sweet.

That chick who told us it would be fine - she's being "taken off the roster" and basically losing her job because apparently a lot of people complained about her over the weekend wooo.

Back