• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Online dating - yay or nay?

sparkles29

Ladies, I'd really like to find out about your experiences of online dating. I know friends who have tried it and it was an unmitigated disaster - that's really been the general consensus! A couple of people have been lucky and are now in a long-term relationship through meeting online, but I do honestly wonder if it was just because they had churned through so many dates that eventually the law of averages would dictate that they would find someone compatible!

Werbung:
I definitely think it is do able. With the internet, you have so many options and can meet so many different people. There are many websites out there that will match up your interests, etc. Think about it, you can't narrow down the meeting you meet in real life as easily, until you get to know them. It makes finding that special one take a lot longer. Long distance relationship are a little harder, but meeting online and then meeting in person and living close enough can definitely work!

I'm not a big fan of online dating. I tried it only once a few years ago and it was a complete disaster. I'll never do this again. The man was nothing like I imagined.
I'd much rather go on a date with somebody whom I already know in person. This is how it was with my boyfriend: we were friends before we started going out.
On the other hand, I know that my friend's aunt found the love of her life online - so I guess everything is possible.

I'd give this one a yay but with certain disclaimers attached. :unsure: First of all, I'd want to be totally aware of the dangers, but the same danger exists with a strange guy you meet at the mall... something to keep in mind. Just take precautions.

Besides that... and I know from the experience of a few friends... be sure that nothing is being hidden. It's really not that hard (But I don't mean grill the other person outwardly!) If it seems like they're hiding something, they may be. If they won't give you an address or maybe a phone number (although phones can be kept in cars, if you get my meaning) it would raise a red flag for me. If they're not available for you on holidays, night-times, weekends, etc. I guess I'm saying just spend enough time talking to be sure the other person is sincere.

Bottom line, the things I just mentioned are the same things girls used to be told to find out if their boyfriend may be married. It's really not a lot different in online dating. If s/he's very secretive and not available at certain times every day or week, don't be afraid to pay attention to those red flags.

Werbung:
I had one, very bad, experience online dating and I'll never do it again - so perhaps it has tainted my view. Turns out the guy had had some professional photos taken - which showed him in an exceptionally good light. Suffice to say the reality was nothing like the images that he had projected on his profile...:eek:

Back