• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Money-saving When Grocery Shopping?

Snowbaby

Are any of you like me.... you go to the supermarket with a mental list of what you need, but you end up spending double the amount of money than predicted??

How do you ensure you only spend money on what is actually needed? Do you take a written list and stick to it by the letter? Do you plan meals for the week/month beforehand and then go to buy the ingredients and nothing else?

If you were short on money for your food shopping this week/month, what "luxury" items of groceries would you skip and make do without?

We tend to do a month's shopping at a time, then get our milk/bread/etc from local shop as and when it's needed. I almost always spend much more than I really need to
<
I try to write a list and stick to it. But why do cleaning products and fresh meat have to be so damned expensive???

When short on money, my luxury items that are skipped by: biscuits, crisps, "ready" meals (hubby likes them too much!), some fresh meat.

Werbung:
Best thing I found was go with a list and never grocery shop hungry. lol, I always spend way to much when I am hungry

Are there any aisles you deliberately skip by? Neither of us drink alcohol in the house, so that's an unnecessary aisle. I try to skip the biscuit and cakes aisles
<

I skip the all the snack isles...lol, unless I am hungry.

I skip a lot of isles

I try to stick to fruits and veggies isles, dairy, meat and the drygoods isles like pasta rice etc. I avoid buying non grocery items like detergents, condiments etc at the grocery store beause I can usually find them cheaper at someplace like Walmart.

Another thing, I will by store brand in a lot of things rather than name brand...unless I am shopping with my mother.

this is a direct quote

"oh.....you're buying NoName cheddar....well do what you think is best, but I can really tell the difference"

The one thing I have to have though, is my brand name Tide laundry detergent and Downy fabric softner.
<

Have to agree with you on named brands.... tesco beans are as good as Heinz! Even soap powder, I tend to buy supermarket own brand as it is kinder to my skin. I have very sensitive skin!

I tend to do all shopping in the one store instead of getting food at supermarket and detergents etc somewhere else. Whether this is best practice or not, I dunno.... don't you spend as much on petrol travelling from supermarket to walmart? Then you have to park again, and shop again, and pay again...
<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Snowbaby @ Nov 20 2006, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Are there any aisles you deliberately skip by? Neither of us drink alcohol in the house, so that's an unnecessary aisle. I try to skip the biscuit and cakes aisles
<
[/b]

Um... you sell booze in the supermarket?
<
That's so convenient!

Crikey Tilly they sell everything in supermarkets over here. From Knickers to Computers!

Its an absoloute nightmare shopping now that the supermarkets have become all the shops on the high street rolled into one. I have to be so careful not to buy a dress that catches my eye along with the potatoes.

How I long for the days when a supermarket was a place that just sold food! LOL. (Gawd how old do I sound!)

I don't have a list but I know generally what I need and I never go shopping hungry either.

Werbung:
Back