• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Managing Stress

feminista

Life problem...

I'm currently taking on too much. I have 2 massive papers due for school (thesis papers), a new research project, am wrapping up an old research project, and will be doing an internship.

This has been a consistent pattern for like a year. While I've completed a lot of projects with a high rate of success, I feel worn out and incapable of finishing what's currently on my plate. How do I deal?

I need to finish all of these projects, quitting is not an option. But when I start working, I get overwhelmed by the immensity of each item.

Werbung:
Just take it in small pieces. You know you have several projects that will be due, so pick one and focus on that one alone for a while. As you start finishing smaller pieces, you'll feel more successful and the next set will feel even more manageable.

I would give the same advice as the one above. Instead of focusing on the big picture and reminding yourself of everything that you need to get done, it is best to just pick one thing and work on it until it is complete. Sometimes we spend too much of our time worrying about the things that need to get done instead of actually doing it. Managing stress can be done with some stress managing skills. Good luck! I know you can do it, just stay positive and keep your mind into it.

Like Jessi said, take it in small pieces. Break what you need to do down into smaller chunks.
My AP Lang and Comp teacher gave us a similar method to manage an AP/college course work load.
He told us to make a list then break down all the assignments. Then make another list of the small assignments.
Just work on them gradually. It'll seem like more to complete but easier to do once at a time.

I just started to listen to guided meditation videos on youtube. I was really stressed out and my boyfriend sent me a few to try this weekend. They really do help. I had a nasty cold and he sent me a healing meditation video. I was so calm when I was done. It only took 10 minutes and set me off on the right path for the day.

When I have so many things to do at once, I will try to finish the most difficult of the tasks first. Once I've done the most difficult task, the rest can be done at any time of the day. The best time for me is in the morning so I try to do the most difficult tasks in the morning and the easiest task during my least productive time like in the afternoon. You can also try out my method by deciding which is the most difficult project and do that first.

I just started to listen to guided meditation videos on youtube. I was really stressed out and my boyfriend sent me a few to try this weekend. They really do help. I had a nasty cold and he sent me a healing meditation video. I was so calm when I was done. It only took 10 minutes and set me off on the right path for the day.

Meditation is a great stress reliever. I meditate on a daily basis. I would go nuts if I didn't.

Take a few minutes to breathe and listen to some music. Also, try putting on some of those focus binaural beats (there are tons on Youtube) and letting them play in the background. I have a very ADD mind and am always all over the place and those really help me focus and get to work.

WOW! This used to be my life. I decided to take the simpler way out though and pace myself. Regardless though, I understand what you mean about the stress and not being able to actually do anything. Once you become worn out or too overwhelmed, you're constantly tired and your brain doesn't allow you to focus because it thinks you need rest, regardless of how much sleep you're actually getting. I figure out a way to make things work, and I'm not sure if it'll work for you but it's worth a try.

Primarily, try to tell yourself that you have time and that you can accomplish this, you just need to take it slowly. Then you need to make a calendar, or get one - and write out the due dates. Figure out how much time you have until you need to hand these things in or prepare for them (if they're tests). Once you've got an outline of how much time you've got until they are due, look at them carefully. I used to write out the requirements in my own words with ideas and notes on a separate piece of paper and attach it to the assignment so when you go back to it, you remember your initial reactions when reading the outline/expectations.

Take on your work one step at a time. Brainstorm for all of them. But I don't suggest that you work on one until you're done and then move on. I suggest that you work on all of them, slowly - especially if they are all due around the same time. For example, if you know that you have 6 hours to do work towards any of these assignments, dedicate 3 to one assignment and 3 to another - or divided however it works for you best. That way, you can work on it and leave it - and go back to it another day. That ensures that your ideas don't block themselves - I don't know if it's happened to you, but it used to happen to me a lot - I would write an entire essay and when I went back a few days later, I wouldn't understand my own points. Because when you're writing, everything makes sense, because you're the one that knows what you're writing but you need to make sure that when you're done you leave it for a couple of days to ensure that your points make sense.

Again, I don't know if this will work for you but it's how I used to get through all my university readings/assignments for years. Good luck :)

Sometimes I feel like this too, sometimes there is just too much to do. I have an MA in philology, BA in philosophy and I'm still an university student - and I work. And I have so many responsibilities.
What is the most important is to be able to find some time just for yourself - at least an hour every day. You need time to breathe, to focus on yourself, to calm down. Without it, you won't have strength to do what you have to do.

Werbung:
I can relate to what you're going through - I have the same problem at work sometimes, with lots of projects on the go, as well as other deadlines. Knowing what to prioritise can be a problem, and then I can end up in a situation where I'm panicking so much about what I need to do that I am incapable of doing anything. So what I've started doing is writing everything down that needs to be done - breaking it down into specific tasks without leaving anything out. Once I've done that then some of the stress is relieved because I know I've got everythign written down that needs to be completed, and at least I won't forget anything. I also use Rescue Remedy, which really helps with stress relief. It's a herbal flower remedy by Bachs, easily available online.

Back