• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Getting on birth control before 18

I wasn't sexually active before I turned 18. My first time happened not so long time ago:oops: . I decided to wait for somebody very special because I can't imagine having sex without love.
Call me old fashioned if you want but this is just the way I'm. But I don't have any problems with people who prefer not to wait. If I fell in love sooner, I'd also lose my virginity sooner.
Currently, I don't take any pills either, I'd be scared of messing up my hormones...so I prefer regular condoms.

Werbung:
I wasn't sexually active before I turned 18. My first time happened not so long time ago:oops: . I decided to wait for somebody very special because I can't imagine having sex without love.
Call me old fashioned if you want but this is just the way I'm. But I don't have any problems with people who prefer not to wait. If I fell in love sooner, I'd also lose my virginity sooner.
Currently, I don't take any pills either, I'd be scared of messing up my hormones...so I prefer regular condoms.
Personally, I don't see pills as a replacement for condoms. It's just more protection.
However, the "I'd be scared of messing up my hormones" is a safe statement. There are very low hormone dosage in some pills though.
If you're interested, just talk to your doctor and state your worries.

I was prescribed the pill when I was 15 by a doctor, because my periods were so heavy and painful that I'd be bedridden for the week, and if I tried to get up I'd pass out and collapse on the floor. Birth control pills did help: I still had a period every 4 weeks but they were more regular (like cloclwork), and so much less painful. So when I first became sexually active, I had already been on the pill for a loong time. :)

And thankfully being in the UK means free healthcare, and living in Wales means I don't have to pay for prescriptions either :D

I was put on the pill when I was in high school, so around 15-16, and it was more of a precautionary measure that was taken by my mother. She just wanted to make sure that I was being safe and was protected and what not... even though we never really had a conversation about it. I am glad we didn't too.

I was put on it, and stayed on it for about 4-5 years... I just recently went off of it this past February because I couldn't keep up with the cost of it... $50 a trip for me...so I just stopped taking them and I was a little wacky for awhile until my body readjusted itself back... but now I am fine again.

I probably should have gone and seen my doctor about going off of them, but I did some research and knew what to expect. Now I am fine, and not pregnant so... what I am doing is working.

My boyfriend and are just use condoms now, and are incredibly careful when it comes to being safe. Haven't had a slip up at all.

I was put on the pill when I was in high school, so around 15-16, and it was more of a precautionary measure that was taken by my mother. She just wanted to make sure that I was being safe and was protected and what not... even though we never really had a conversation about it. I am glad we didn't too.

I was put on it, and stayed on it for about 4-5 years... I just recently went off of it this past February because I couldn't keep up with the cost of it... $50 a trip for me...so I just stopped taking them and I was a little wacky for awhile until my body readjusted itself back... but now I am fine again.

I probably should have gone and seen my doctor about going off of them, but I did some research and knew what to expect. Now I am fine, and not pregnant so... what I am doing is working.

My boyfriend and are just use condoms now, and are incredibly careful when it comes to being safe. Haven't had a slip up at all.

If the cost is the issue, you can always ask about an "off-brand" that is similar to what you were using.
At first I was prescribed with Lo-Estrin but it would've been $60 even with insurance.
So I called my doctor and she switched me to Sprintec, which is only $10 with or without insurance.

How many of you got on birth control before you were an adult?

Did you talk to your mom about it and get it through insurance? Did you go to a Planned Parenthood or a similar clinic to get it without your parents knowing? Some other way?
So another point of view...from a grandma! I hear tell, through the grapevine, that my daughter is going to place fourteen year old on birth control. She hangs with a really wild girl, that may be why we think she could be influenced. I say better safe than sorry. This is a good girl...but aren't we all?

So another point of view...from a grandma! I hear tell, through the grapevine, that my daughter is going to place fourteen year old on birth control. She hangs with a really wild girl, that may be why we think she could be influenced. I say better safe than sorry. This is a good girl...but aren't we all?
Fourteen is really young. Is she just putting her on birth control for safe sex or is it other reasons?

I am 28 and have never been on birth control. Using hormones like that is just crazy to me. There are too many side effects for me to ever go on BC. I'd rather use condoms and spermicide.
I really never took BC either but I am old and there wasn't so many choices back then. To me, condoms were a good choice.

I see many here have gone from BC to condoms. I must say that I am the other way around. I became pregnant this March even though my boyfriend and I used a condom. Because we live in seperate countries still, we desided that an abortion would be the best choice. It was the nurse that I went to for that who told me I should get BC. However, the pills I take right now make me bleed almost daily, so it is not fun, but I guess I'd rather bleed a little daily than get pregnant again before I can actually keep the baby.

I've been taking it since i was 16 just to help regulate my period. My mom set up a doctor appointment and we went and that was pretty much it! I don't see any problem using it because there's no way that i can afford to be pregnant right now :/

I have always had annoying and painful periods up until recently. it is not as bad just recently. The doctor offered the birth control pill to me at a young age to regulate my periods, since i started menstruating at a very young age, but I said no because the doctor told me that it could make me gain wait, and I get bloaty enough around that time of the month, without actually putting on real weight. I have always been skinny and this slender body feels heavy enough lol.

Dreek Lass, I have very painful periods too. I wonder if taking a birth control pill would help me? Who knows, maybe it's worth a try. I'd rather get bloaty than suffer from cramps and lie in my bed with tears in my eyes. I hate getting periods:(:cry:

Werbung:
No, I'm on my early twenties and have never tried birth control pills. I'm a bit like Claudine, I'm not interested in sleeping with a guy without love and am willing to wait. Although I respect that the right choice for others may be different. :)

I would however, consider going on birth control if I planned on traveling for 6 months and didn't want to go through the hassle of having my period each month, as I normally can't move much on the first day of my period. @claudine I know how you feel, sometimes it's so painful that I wish I could just skip the day altogether. It's exhausting being in torturous pain for hours on end with no relief.

There are other reasons young women may choose to go on birth control before 18 too, they may compete in high level sports such as swimming or gymnastics where the ability to control their period may be handy.

Back