• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Does your husband/boyfriend consider you an equal partner in the relationship?

Mom4ever

It's easy to think that men are as evolved as women when it comes to equality, but some guys are still very conservative and traditional and insist on both partners maintaining their traditional roles, especially after marriage. Though I consider myself to be an equal partner in my own relationship, I know that my own partner is more traditional and still sees himself as THE MAN meaning he should be the primary breadwinner and all that jazz. Of course, he respects my opinion and listens to me when I talk. But, I know he is still very traditional at heart.

Anyway, I guess these kinds of attitudes are ingrained into a man when he is a child, depending on what kind of home he grew up in. Though that wouldn't explain anything for my spouse cause he grew up in a home with a single mom.

What about your relationship, does your partner consider you an equal partner? Does he listen to and respect your opinion?

Werbung:
Okay, well to say that my partner DOES NOT listen and respect my opinion would be an overstatement and is down right unfair for him, he does, and I think a marriage/relationship is not going to survive at all without listening to your partner and respecting your partner.

Now, am I being treated as an equal partner? Sadly I think the answer to this is NO. Men would always be men and that's just it. My husband can go to his friends or to places without letting me know, I mean once he's out of the house, I cannot expect him to tell me what he does or where he is, I can't even go to the grocery without telling him.. He drinks when he wants to, without again asking or advising me (at the very least) that he would be, my best friend paid me a visit AT HOME we decided to grab a couple of bottles and he gives out a couple of comments.

Those may be petty and simple but it does make me feel violated a lot of times, i don't really expect him to treat me as a complete equal, I guess "traditionally" especially in this country that I live in, men are expected to drink or go out more, what not, than women, and I'm not really after going out so much and stuff, but I'm expecting him to appreciate that I do understand my bounds and that I don't ask to go out with friends too often. A little credit would be appreciated and also if he does not give me a hard time when I'm asking him would also be great.

Sometimes, a guy can change over time. Mine has made so many wonderful little improvements since we first got together. He's really not the same guy he was back then. We've been through a lot together. Time has mellowed him out and made him a real softie at heart, though I know he is still very conservative, though he doesn't talk about it so much now.

My husband treats me like an equal partner. He always asks my opinions about what we should do with our time and money, etc. He's still the primary bread winner but that's only because I am still in school and don't have time to work a full-time job. He knows that I contribute as much as I can and is okay with that. He is a little conservative, as that's how we both grew up, but I'd still say our marriage is an equal partner-ship.

I think my boyfriend and I treat each other as equals. I don't really care what he does and he doesn't really care what I do (as long as neither of us is cheating or doing something like that) lol...neither one of us is "the jealous type". We moved in together back in Feb. and he is the "bread winner" but not because he's a man, but because he just makes more money that I do. He is about 13 years older than me so he has more work experience, plus a bachelors in accounting AND a bachelors in finance and he's working on a master's degree. Me on the other hand....I am currently working a really crappy job (not crappy cause of what I do, but crappy because my hours vary wildly)...one week I might get 40 hours, then the next I'm lucky if I get 20. It only pays $8 so between the low wage and the inconsistent hours, I can't really pay very many bills or anything. He encouraged me to go back to college (which I'm doing now and had planned on doing anyway). Not just for a degree and pay increase but because we're both the kind of people that want to have careers that we enjoy, not just a job that gets us by.

Although I do have to say, both of us are busy as hell but we have had several disagreements/arguments about housework. Its hard to keep the house clean when one person works full time and the other (me) works part time, sometimes full time, and has to study for 5 different college classes. I don't think the issue has anything to do with not being considered an equal...I think we both just tend to underestimate just how much stuff the other person does lol

Getting a degree is always a good way to even things up in the job place and also to boost your confidence that you are offering something substantial to the partnership in the way of income.

What about your relationship, does your partner consider you an equal partner? Does he listen to and respect your opinion?

We're completely equal! (^_^) Though, sometimes he tries to handle everything for me, working to make money, cleaning, cooking, etc... so when I have to slip in and clean and help him out in return for how much he helps me out. He always lets me chew off his ear if I need to complain and vent. He has never called me a name, either, same here to him. Our disagreements are always handled maturely. :D

We are equal on our end as well. :) Mine tends to do a lot for me when I really do not need it. but we are still able to agree and disagree of course, but we are equal all the time. If I want to work or whatever I can it is nothing that i have to ask him about or stress to him about. We talk like normal people and we can vent off at each other if needed. Sometimes I do not do a lot of venting cause there are things that I don't want him to worry about, but I listen to him vent about work and everything else. We offer each other advice on every thing. :)

My husband is 20 years my senior and he truly tries to treat me as his equal. Sometime he tries to dictate things in my life but at the end I get my way. He knows I don't like that and if he does something that feels like undermining me, I raise fire in the house. So we always agree on things mutually.

I'm a traditional girl. I like when my boyfriend it taking care of me, carrying me, calling me to ask where I am and in general treating me like I was a princess:love: . He is stronger and more independent, he is also more courageous than me. I think it's impossible to pretend there is no difference between women and men. But if it's something important, we always decide together. I want him to be happy and he wants me to be happy:D

Werbung:
Yes, he considers me to be an equal partner, and so do I. There are times where he does the dishes and I'll do the outside grilling. I think it is important to take on each other's roles of what is typically the man's job or typically the woman's job.

Back