• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Chickens

Potholer

The other day we decided we were gonna get us some chickens to get our own eggs. Tried to catch some off the side of the road but went looking for a farm to ask instead. After tracking down three farmers and a pultry farm we got our hands on 2 chickens at 10$ each, one of which lays GREEN EGGS and we made a hutch, chicken-wired the back yard in the extreme (seriously, everywhere there isn't real fence, there is chicken wire at least a metre high, 2m in some places where they've tried to break out). We've made the meanest A-frame chicken run you'll ever see, we are fix-it queens. And today we got our first two eggs! One was in the hutch and then today one disappeared into this little bushy hole underneath a tree in the yard while the other stood outside and clucked at it and we checked it out later and it'd laid an egg there!

And omg, day one of having them, we worked past dark finishing the hutch and chicken run so it was safe to leave the chickens without danger of them being eaten by cats (which now roam the backyard if we aren't vigilant) and apparently chickens totally turn off at night and man they do. They climbed a tree and fell asleep cos we were messing with the hutch and i had to climb up and shake the buggers down but we felt real bad cos I grabbed one branch and bent it a good 1.5m down so the flatmate could grab it but the second was antoher metre higher so couldn't. I had to get it onto my arm but then it started climbing towards my face so I freaked out and tried to shake it off onto a lower branch. Bloody hilarious, I'll tell ya.

But yeah! We get two eggs a day now! We've got 20kg of feed for them, spent a good good good deal of money on chicken proofing the yard and still they've escaped twice. The first time I asked the neighbour to help me herd it back into the yard and the second time I had to chase the chicken through two neighbours' yards in my pajamas....

Their names are officially Cow and Chicken because the fatter one has an udder on its head.

<

Werbung:
Back