• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Can't get a job to save my life!

jenb128

I lost my job of thirteen years last September when my place of employment closed down. Since then, I've been searching for something new. I lost track of how many resumes I've sent out, but it has to be around 100. I've been on ten interviews, but I never get the job. I follow all the interview "rules" - I sit up straight. I smile. I watch my "ums and uhs." I practice ahead of time. I usually send thank you notes (I forgot the first couple times because I hadn't been on a job interview in so long), but the only thing that does is get me the "while your background and skills are impressive, we're going with another candidate" letter faster.

I'm 100% qualified for all these positions. I have almost twenty years of relevant experience. I'm not asking for too much money (a couple of the interviews have even been for minimum wage jobs). Still, nobody seems to want me, even with multiple professional recommendations. It's frustrating and terrifying. Fortunately, my husband has a decent job, but if I don't find something (at least part-time) by the end of the year, we're going to be in trouble.

I have gone back to school part-time in the hopes of eventually getting into the veterinary technology program, but it'll be at least a few years before I can get a job in that field.

Werbung:
Finding a job right now can be really tough. I was in that position a few years ago. The worst part is how discouraged I will get after going on so many interviews and not getting hired. It really affected me and wore me down. I tried my best to keep my head up and eventually I did get a job. I know everyone keeps telling you it will eventually happen and it doesn't seem like it, but it really will!

I have to agree that finding a job of any kind right now is really hard. I was actually in that same situation a while back. I applied everywhere and at times it was tough both money wise and with my self confidence. I was really stressed out for a while there. But luckily, I was able to get a job since one of the workers there put in a good word for me (we had worked together at a different job). I guess it does help to have some connections. All I can say is, don't give up.

I am in the same boat right now. There are 100 applicants per post for the field I am in. It's so hard to stand out. I usually make it to the interview round, send my thank you notes, make follow up calls (but without being pushy) and can't get a job. I know I could get one of I applied in retail, but right now retail would pay me less than my freelance writing jobs. So stuck!

Even here, it is too hard to find a job even those with minimum wage. The competition gets tough since there are lots of other people out there who are applying for one position.
I resigned almost five years ago and tried to earn online. It is because I cannot appreciate my job anymore with management issues. Right now I am just earning enough to live but at least I can enjoy having free time anytime I would want and I do not need to commute even the weather is not that good just to go to the office.

It can be very discouraging and one can feel very let down after so many disappointments but you must not give up. Talk to everyone you know, let them know you are looking for something, go into random places and make a connection with the manager there etc...just put your energy and determination out there and something will come along.

But many others are also sending resumes etc, so go in person, make eye-contact, just keep on. It took me almost a year once, but it happened! Take time out but never ever give up. Otherwise start something from home, making soaps or perfumes etc...all the best.

Thanks for the comments! I know I'm not alone, but hearing other stories does help me feel better, at least!

I've actually applied for several retail jobs, but only one has bothered to call me, and they wanted me to be available 24/7 (which is impossible for me due to my class schedule). Everybody I know has been keeping an eye out for job postings for me (or so they say, lol). I also have quite a few connections, but so far, they haven't done me any good. I applied at a place where a friend works and he's been singing my praises to management for months, but so far, no interview. :( I've also tried making stuff (jewelry, pet toys, things like that) at home, but I've spent far more on supplies than I've earned selling it. I'm limited in what I can make, though - I physically can't tolerate artificial smells of any kind. I recently started doing some things online, so we'll see how that goes (I'm enjoying it at least)! :)

I lost my job of thirteen years last September when my place of employment closed down. Since then, I've been searching for something new. I lost track of how many resumes I've sent out, but it has to be around 100. I've been on ten interviews, but I never get the job. I follow all the interview "rules" - I sit up straight. I smile. I watch my "ums and uhs." I practice ahead of time. I usually send thank you notes (I forgot the first couple times because I hadn't been on a job interview in so long), but the only thing that does is get me the "while your background and skills are impressive, we're going with another candidate" letter faster.

I'm 100% qualified for all these positions. I have almost twenty years of relevant experience. I'm not asking for too much money (a couple of the interviews have even been for minimum wage jobs). Still, nobody seems to want me, even with multiple professional recommendations. It's frustrating and terrifying. Fortunately, my husband has a decent job, but if I don't find something (at least part-time) by the end of the year, we're going to be in trouble.

I have gone back to school part-time in the hopes of eventually getting into the veterinary technology program, but it'll be at least a few years before I can get a job in that field.
I doubt if it is you since you sound like you are doing the right things and are qualified. Do you have any time to volunteer? My oldest daughter volunteered at a travel agency filing and being a gopher for coffee and lunches. It put her in a spot where she found out an airline was hiring in a town 90 miles away. She went to interview and got the job. That airline then allowed her the news of another airline she is now working for 22 years. Volunteering has a foot in the door. Try something related to your animal vet tech classes and see where it leads you. Wishing you well.

I do volunteer, actually, and I love it! I've been helping out at a wildlife rehabilitation clinic for about a year and a half now. The clinic itself is all volunteers, so it won't lead directly into a job there, but it should definitely help me when it comes time to apply for the official vet tech program (working on the prerequisite general math and science right now). The folks in charge at the clinic have their eyes open for any possible jobs for me, but nothing for which I'm qualified has come up so far. Still, the extra feelers (and references) may help eventually!

Werbung:
Just my luck to have all I have written in this post disappear because I accidentally punch a couple of keys in the keyboard.:(

Speaking of, hang on there jenb. We are on the same boat... more or less. I know how you feel. My first rejection was the worst. But after that I would just say to myself that somewhere, someday, some employer will hire me and I'll finally be earning enough to build my dream home.

I was thinking of volunteering as well. But unfortunately, here in where I'm currently living, there aren't any available jobs to volunteer to since we don't have dog shelters or animal welfare offices.

Back