• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Baby Constipation Question

Lottie

I have recently changed Alexanders Formula to another brand. In the first 24 hours he didn't do a poopy and this morning I found little golden eggs in his nappy.

Is he constipated and if he is what can I do to make him less so?

Thanks in advance!

Lottie :kissheart:

Werbung:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
How can if I tell if my baby's constipated?
Constipation is rare in younger babies, especially breastfed ones, although it may be a problem in an older baby once solid foods have been introduced.

Breastfed babies may go from having several bowel movements a day in the first few weeks of life, to only having one or two in an entire week. Even when it's soft or liquid, all babies sometimes have to strain to pass a stool. In fact, before long, you'll recognise your baby's particular grimaces and grunts as she works on her bowel movements.

Bottle-fed babies tend to have one firm bowel movement a day, though some may only have a bowel movement once every three or four days. This isn't considered abnormal unless the stool is hard and pellet-like. True constipation occurs when stool in the lower intestine is pinched by the tightening of muscles, which can stall, and the longer it remains, the firmer and drier it becomes.

Before suspecting constipation, it may help to familiarise yourself with the symptoms below and to understand that in babies, just like in adults, bowel patterns vary.

What are the symptoms of constipation?
For babies 0-3 months old, constipation is rare, even if your baby is formula-fed. Some babies grunt and strain with every movement, although it's not necessarily constipation. Still, if your baby cries or looks uncomfortable, check with your health visitor or your GP. If your newborn passes solid stools less than once a day, it is generally considered constipation.

For an older baby who has started solids, symptoms may include:
  • • Irritability, abdominal pain and gastric discomfort
    • A hard abdomen
    • Abdominal pain which decreases after a bowel movement
    • Blood-streaked stools, usually due to rectal fissures caused by passing hard stools
    • Hard-to-pass, pellet-like stools
How can I treat it?
You should check with your GP or health visitor before trying anything to relieve your baby's discomfort. You may be asked to bring her in to be examined.

For an older baby who is on solids, ask your health visitor about adding a few tablespoons of pureed prunes to your baby's morning cereal, or giving him two teaspoons of prune juice.

Some experts recommend adding a teaspoon of bran to your baby's cereal, to add fibre, although take care to not overdo this. Try to give your baby fruits and vegetables (in small bits, of course) so he gets adequate fibre, and plenty of drinks, including plain water.

These remedies may also offer baby some relief:
  • • Try bicycling your baby's legs if he seems constipated. This may help move stool matter along his intestine.
    • If he's eating solids, cut down on constipating foods, such as rice, bananas, or cereal.
It's not uncommon for babies to experience constipation, especially once they're eating solids, as their bodies learn how to manage new foods. With your attention, necessary treatment, and time, he'll soon establish easier, regular bowel movements.

My initial suggestion would be to try cooled boiled water. But definately ask the health visitor. Bless his wee soul!!!
[/b]

Back