• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Why I stopped counting calories…

N

Natascha22

It was not too long ago that I worried about the calories in my food, everything I ate I would add up and I would have three or four different apps on my phone to make sure that I counted all my daily calories.

Here is why I stopped – I was not learning anything and it did not benefit me. My app does not know the difference between 200 calories in a bowl of fruit and one single (albeit) delicious cookie. I was ignoring the difference between the calories in sugar and the calories in fresh fruits and vegetables. I was not ‘eating healthy’… I was just eating a specific limit of food. There was a reason that I did not feel good in the morning, because I was just not giving my body what it needed.

I also found that I was measuring out food that I really should not be. For example, if I am counting the calories of the spinach in my salad or measuring out a cup of broccoli, what am I doing with my life? I wanted to be able to eat my food instead of worrying about whether those two almonds in my salad would make or break my meal. I think reducing stress plays a large role in being healthy, why add to it?

I have started eating healthier than before. I ate higher quality foods. According to the apps on my phone, having a salad with some avocado contains more calories than piece of peanut brittle – I certainly know what food my body would react better to.

That just goes to show me (and I hope you) that you can have eggs, meat, sweet potatoes, and olives in your diet – even if they have a larger number of calories than you might like. I think that we should learn to trust our bodies when it comes to our nutritional needs, not exclusively pay attention to the number of calories.

Werbung:
Thanks for sharing your story with us, Natasha. From my experience I can tell you that counting calories has been a life saver, but in part this has been because I don't take calorie counting that seriously and I knew a couple things about nutrition before I even started. Yeah, knowing about nutrition before you start can help, so you know the difference between those calories who are empty and the ones that aren't.

It's great you have found a balance and a method that help you keep the extra weight off, eating healthy is the real key, sometimes the way to get to that is by calorie counting and portion control. That's how I learn more and more about nutrition and learnt to be more conscious of what I eat.

Back