• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

What to do with a teen neighbor who "feels so at home" in our haven?

Mommyjoyce

Some neighbors can be a pain in the neck. here we are trying to lessen our electric bill and here comes a teen neighbor friend and her mom who frequents our home to call on the phone and/or use the internet FOR HOURS!

The mom comes in unannounced, goes to our bedroom where the phone is and asks to use the phone. There she laughs and talks like it's her home. The longest is over an hour and I have to make an excuse to use the phone so she would go home.

Then comes her daughter who will shoo one of my sons (I have three) out of their pcs just so she could "do her research" for school work. She takes 3-4 hours per day! (Research includes Facebooking???) On third day, I told my sons to tell her that they are using the computer.

After a month, she comes again, bringing her own laptop, and woke up my son so she could connect to the wifi, while plugged into our own electricity, for 5 1/2 hours!

Unable to control my patience, though in good words still, I told her that we are saving on electricity so if she can ask her dad to have internet installed in their own home as it is not a necessity. My sons are so shy to turn her down, I had to tell her myself.

I don't know if she told her mom. But we are not millionaires. She couldn't take any hint, so I just had to tell her straight.

Was I rude? Hmmmmm....

Werbung:
I don't think you were rude at all - I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, but if these people are walking straight into your home like they own the place and using your Wifi/electricity and disturbing you while doing it, you have every right to tell them to stop and kick them off your property. Maybe try talking to them and tell them to stop coming to your house, and maybe get the authorities or someone else involved if they don't? Like I'm said I'm not an expert but that's what I would do if it were me in your situation... good luck with your problem, though, I hope it's resolved.

Hi Mommyjoyce,

How is the neighbor situation going? They sound like the neighbors who will keep coming and taking anything they can get for nothing. They could be paying for an internet connection, with the same amount of money YOU are paying for their electricity use. Next time they come over tell them you are sorry you are busy. They really have no class coming into your home like they own it. I would stop it. Also, I would not be very happy with them coming into my bedroom. I would not allow that. I think if someone wanted to use your phone once that would be fine but they are taking advantage of you. Tell them you are sorry but they will need to get their own phone and internet connection. Keep us posted on what is happening!

hello, Sam... it always pays to be kind first, it seems...LOL Then if you are being abused, you can still make a kind confrontation. I chose to tell her to tell her dad they need OWN connection because it's now a must for students...plus, I told her we have been trying to save on electricity and unless it's an emergency situation, we just cannot be happy with the way she keeps on staying over to have her chats with her friends!

That worked. She hasn't "visited" again since then! ^__^

hello, Sam... it always pays to be kind first, it seems...LOL Then if you are being abused, you can still make a kind confrontation. I chose to tell her to tell her dad they need OWN connection because it's now a must for students...plus, I told her we have been trying to save on electricity and unless it's an emergency situation, we just cannot be happy with the way she keeps on staying over to have her chats with her friends!

Leech-much? It's a good thing she never came. How related/close are you for them to take advantage of you like that? I'm living with my sister and even then, I have to contribute to them because I should be lucky enough they offered to welcome me in their home. As I've said, she had some nerve.

I guess she got it from her mom. I mean calling from a neighbor's house and using the phone for an hour? What kind of emergency discussion does she need t do with the person on the other line that it took over an hour to finish?

I had this problem with one of my friends growing up. She would always stay and want to stay for dinner instead of eating at home. My mom hated it. She would try to get her to leave beforehand and so she just straight out told her she wasn't welcome every day then it stopped.

I have been in this exact situation and take it from me, there is no way you can be subtle about it, you need to be firm and tell him to "go home!!". Teens have thick skins, he won't hold it against you lol - but neither will he listen if you beat around the bush getting the point across.

I also think it is not rude to tell them the truth and let them understand your situation especially if you told them about it in a right manner. At least they now know that it was not just okay with you as they might be thinking it was just okay before, that is why they keep doing it.

Werbung:
I doubt you were rude. It sounds like she was taking advantage at that point. It wasn't about using your home as a "safe haven" away from her own home. She was just flat out using you for internet. There's no way around that. And that's completely different than what I expected to read about when I opened this thread. I think you did the right thing.

Back