• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

What if you found out that a loved one has HIV?

I have never had family who was, no.

I had a friend who was, though, and it was devastating. I just did the same thing I do with other life changing events and tried to be there for them. What else could I do?

Werbung:
Yes, my moms brother contracted the disease many years ago when I was a pre-teen. Although I was extremely young, I remember it like it was yesterday. I actually for to witness the process of how someone gradually die from the disease and it is terrible. Closer to his death, he didn't the same; it was as if the disease aged him. I wasn't there when he took his last breathe because I went with my mom to get his medication, when we came back we found out that he had passed. It was heartbreaking to know that his actions is what led to his early death.

If I found out a loved one had HIV I would be devastated. Someone I know confided to me recently that they found out they were positive. I can't imagine what that would be like, even though it's not the automatic death sentence it used to be. The impact of that kind of diagnosis just goes far beyond being sick.

If a friend or family member was diagnosed with HIV, I'd let them know that I'd be there to support them, whenever they needed someone to listen. Sometimes the best thing you can do for someone is to let them know that you'll always be there for them. <3

Werbung:
If a loved one had HIV that would never change my opinion of him/her. I'd still love him/her and respect her as much as I did before knowing he/she was infected.

I'd try to help him/her as much as I could, mostly by offering emotional support, because I know what is like to be struggling with a chronic disease (not HIV). So I have learnt quite a bit about coping (I still have a hard time accepting I have what I have certain days). But I believe I might be getting better and better at coping with my chronic disease; I just learnt to accept it. I'd try to show them the way to acceptation.

Back