• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Tired of feeling bad about myself

Tatertot

You know those awkward teen years where you are really self-conscious? I fear I will never outgrow them. I'm 19 and I still feel like what I think or do is somehow inferior to the way other people see or do things. I have a really hard time disagreeing with people, even if it's over something where there is no right or wrong- like what color someone's hair is.
I worry that I don't look pretty enough, even though I'm a lazy person and dislike spending a lot of effort on looking nice in the morning. And sometimes when my boyfriend insists he's right about something...I start to doubt my own convictions about the subject.

Can anyone else relate to this? I didn't sleep well last night and am having "one of those days", but just wanted to get this off my chest even though I know I'll feel better about it later.

Werbung:
I don't think it has to do with those awkward teen years. I think everyone has days or times when they wonder about these things. I'm 49 and I still have days where I doubt everything about myself. I write online for content sites and every time I submit an article I have doubts about whether I am good enough.

I agree, I am 35, and I have many days where I don't feel good enough. I have to stop myself and take a step back and really think of my accomplishments to realize that I am at the very least, doing the best that I can. I worry that I am not a good enough mother, that I am not a good enough wife, a good enough housekeeper, a good enough writer, etc., etc.
It is harder when you're a teen because in many ways, you are still trying to find yourself and the path you want to take in life. It does get a bit easier, but it takes having a positive attitude and knowing that as long as you do your best, you are doing all you can. That's where my problem lies...I do have a positive attitude for the most part, but I am very hard on myself and always feel that I should/could be doing more than what I already do.

I think everyone, regardless of how old they are, feels awkward and crummy about themselves. I worry about my appearance, my baby weight that won't seem to go anywhere, if my kids are happy, there's all kinds of things.

I agree with lynne that when you are young it is hard to feel good about yourself because you haven't really had a chance to figure out who you are and what you want yet.

I hope by the time you read this that you are feeling better and more confident about yourself. :) Maybe it would be best for you to spend some time thinking about what you want, what you believe (you said you sometimes doubt your convictions) and figure out who you are?

Everyone has those days. Accept that you are having one of those days, feel lazy, do nothing and don't worry about it. There is always tomorrow.

Disagreeing with what others are saying isn't a bad thing either! Respect others opinions and ask them to respect yours.

Plus in our daily/home life it would be pretty boring if everyone would agree with everything we say. Can you imagine all around you would just say "yes Tatertot", "yes dear", "sure you are right"... be fun for about a day, but after that I know I would be pulling out my hair lol

I think we all have days where we just don't feel good enough. I am 27 and still feel that way. I feel like I should have more accomplished by now, but then other times I reflect at what I have done and feel proud. I think you should write out a list of what makes you proud to be you, post it in your room and re-read it when you're down.

You do out grow them but it takes time. You will always have an off day here and there, but as for your boyfriend he needs to get a grip.

He's not always right and you should know this. Take the time and effort to research whatever it is he talking about to settle the argument so that you don't find yourself figuring out what the heck happened.

You know those awkward teen years where you are really self-conscious? I fear I will never outgrow them. I'm 19 and I still feel like what I think or do is somehow inferior to the way other people see or do things. I have a really hard time disagreeing with people, even if it's over something where there is no right or wrong- like what color someone's hair is.
I worry that I don't look pretty enough, even though I'm a lazy person and dislike spending a lot of effort on looking nice in the morning. And sometimes when my boyfriend insists he's right about something...I start to doubt my own convictions about the subject.

Can anyone else relate to this? I didn't sleep well last night and am having "one of those days", but just wanted to get this off my chest even though I know I'll feel better about it later.

I know exactly how you feel, as I went through this when I was your age. I think it has a lot to do with being young and impressionable. Teens are more likely to feel an obligation to act a certain way because of what they are seeing around them. I think once you get passed grade school, you start to not care about what other people are doing around. It takes time and you will eventually outgrow it.

Werbung:
All I can say is...it will get better. But only IF you take charge of your emotions. Do not allow it to control you, and like someone else said here...you can reprogram your though patterns with positive messages etc. It takes time, but once you are in control of your thoughts, it will get better.

I doubt that it goes away. But it eases...I still have days like that now. I just flow with it and don't fight it...and then soon, I am back on track. I heard a great leader say once that he has an inner loser and an inner winner and he listens to both...but chooses to act on one.

Ultimately, it is YOUR life, you are in charge..and can win over any self defeating inner dialogue.

Back