• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

The Book Review Thread

Snowbaby

Though perhaps you guys could share your favourite books with the rest of us.

Tell us a little about the book, title, author, little blurb, and whether you liked it!!
<

Let's see if we can entice each other into reading!!!!

Werbung:
Well, let me go first.

I'll start by saying, I'm a sucker for true life stories. Especially those about survival and coming through experiences such as abuse, etc. Makes you realise just what goes on in the world and how people have coped.

I often rave about the Dave Pelzer books - "A Child Called It", "The Lost Boy", and "A Man Named Dave".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Synopsis
A CHILD CALLED 'IT': Dave Pelzer's story is of a child beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games that left one of her three sons nearly dead. No longer considered a son, or a boy, but an 'it', Dave had to learn how to play these games in order to survive. His bed was an old army cot in the basement and when he was allowed food it was scraps from the dogs' bowl. Throughout, Dave kept alive the dream of finding a family who would love and care for him. This is an inspirational look at the horrors of child abuse and the steadfast determination of one child to survive despite the odds. THE LOST BOY: The harrowing but ultimately uplifting true story of Dave's journey through the foster-care system in search of a family who will love him. A MAN NAMED DAVE: The gripping conclusion to this inspirational trilogy. With extraordinary generosity of spirit, Dave takes us on a journey into his past. At last he confronts his father and ultimately his mother. Finally, Dave finds the courage to break the chains of the past and learn to love, trust and live for the future.
And have just finished reading his brother's book "Surviving a Childhood of Abuse" - Richard B. Pelzer.

Synopsis
The story of Dave Pelzer is a legend of our times: the shattering tale of the child called 'It' who was forced to live in the basement. His mother was the perpetrator of the horror, but she had a willing accomplice. It was Dave's brother Richard - the author of this book. When Dave was twelve the police removed him from the household, but the cycle of abuse continued. Mrs Pelzer had a new target for her crazed, alcoholic wrath. The hunter became the hunted -- at the age of nine. This is his story. Recounting the warped dynamics of a family riven by abuse, he reveals his guilt at being the abuser, his scarring at being abused, the complete lack of questioning within the family about what was happening -- and even the twisted respect the boys had for their mother. Richard became the target of his mother's artillery of insanity, the victim of savage beatings leading to hospitalization, the boy denied clean clothes, the one who 'deserved' whole bottles of hot Tabasco sauce poured down his throat .[/b]

Absolutely fantastic books of true courage and survival. I will warn though, the Dave Pelzer books are rather graphic.[/b]

Cross Stitch, Diana Gabolden.
Historical fiction/Sci-Fi/Romance/Intrigue/Freakin good.

Cross Stitch is also known as Outlander is some countries and is the first book in a series of 6 books with several spin off novels and campanion books. Diana Gabolden had originally only planned three books for the series but wrote more as the books took on a life of there own.

Synopsis: Clair a hapily married woman some how ends up in Scotland 200 years in the past in the past were she is forced into marriage with a no good renogade with a price on his head and no prospects. Desperately she struggles to get back to her old life in the future but she is stuck in the middle of a Jacobite rising which threatens the life of herself and her renogade husband.

Poltically enthralling, emotionally uplifting and painful a must read book for everyone. It's not just a romance novel, the romance is just a bonus.

MMmmph! James Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie Fraser, worth every syllable... Grrrr!

I am reading In Search of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde by Raymond McNally and Radu Florescu.

Summary
In modern literature only a few stories are so haunting that their characters seem never to die. Robert Louis Stevenson's Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is the equal of Dracula, Frankenstein, and the tales of Edgar Allan Poe and Franz Kafka. It is as startling today a when it was published in 1886. The terrifying story of an urbane doctor who turns into a homicidal madman sold an unprecedented million copied before the turn of the twentieth century. Over one hundred years later, the expression 'Jekyll and Hyde personality' still characterises a person, often schizophrenic, at war with his darker side.Basing their work on impressive new research, Raymond McNally and Radu Florescu shine a light into the mystery of why this image still rings true. They begin by looking at the life of and times of William Deacon Brodie, the killer who inspired the tale, recapturing in vivid detail the murky, corrupt world of eighteenth-century Edinburgh where he lived. And they also re-examine Robert Louis Stevenson, a man who achieved extraordinary literary success in a short lifetime filled with physical hardship.The authors also track the many reincarnations of the story in popular culture, particularly film; Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde has become the subject of over 100 motion picture adaptations.The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is more than just a good yarn, it is an insight into human nature and the true character of evil.[/b]

An extremyl interesting book that I highly recommend
<

<
PP
<

I have read all three of the Dave Pelzer stories, very sad eh.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Snowbaby @ Jan 9 2006, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well, let me go first.

I'll start by saying, I'm a sucker for true life stories. Especially those about survival and coming through experiences such as abuse, etc. Makes you realise just what goes on in the world and how people have coped.

I often rave about the Dave Pelzer books - "A Child Called It", "The Lost Boy", and "A Man Named Dave".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Synopsis
A CHILD CALLED 'IT': Dave Pelzer's story is of a child beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games that left one of her three sons nearly dead. No longer considered a son, or a boy, but an 'it', Dave had to learn how to play these games in order to survive. His bed was an old army cot in the basement and when he was allowed food it was scraps from the dogs' bowl. Throughout, Dave kept alive the dream of finding a family who would love and care for him. This is an inspirational look at the horrors of child abuse and the steadfast determination of one child to survive despite the odds. THE LOST BOY: The harrowing but ultimately uplifting true story of Dave's journey through the foster-care system in search of a family who will love him. A MAN NAMED DAVE: The gripping conclusion to this inspirational trilogy. With extraordinary generosity of spirit, Dave takes us on a journey into his past. At last he confronts his father and ultimately his mother. Finally, Dave finds the courage to break the chains of the past and learn to love, trust and live for the future.

And have just finished reading his brother's book "Surviving a Childhood of Abuse" - Richard B. Pelzer.

Synopsis
The story of Dave Pelzer is a legend of our times: the shattering tale of the child called 'It' who was forced to live in the basement. His mother was the perpetrator of the horror, but she had a willing accomplice. It was Dave's brother Richard - the author of this book. When Dave was twelve the police removed him from the household, but the cycle of abuse continued. Mrs Pelzer had a new target for her crazed, alcoholic wrath. The hunter became the hunted -- at the age of nine. This is his story. Recounting the warped dynamics of a family riven by abuse, he reveals his guilt at being the abuser, his scarring at being abused, the complete lack of questioning within the family about what was happening -- and even the twisted respect the boys had for their mother. Richard became the target of his mother's artillery of insanity, the victim of savage beatings leading to hospitalization, the boy denied clean clothes, the one who 'deserved' whole bottles of hot Tabasco sauce poured down his throat .[/b]
Absolutely fantastic books of true courage and survival. I will warn though, the Dave Pelzer books are rather graphic.[/b][/b][/quote]

The Dave Pelzer are so incredibly sad... when I read 'A Child Called It' I started bawling about a quarter of the way in the book and didn't stop until I finished it. (I read it all in one sitting.)

<

Yeah it's so sad, and so sad that it went on for so long without someone doing something.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chantilly @ Jun 1 2006, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Dave Pelzer are so incredibly sad... when I read 'A Child Called It' I started bawling about a quarter of the way in the book and didn't stop until I finished it. (I read it all in one sitting.)

<
[/b]

Some books defy categorisation: Life of Pi, the second novel from Canadian writer Yann Martel, is a case in point: just about the only thing you can say for certain about it is that it is fiercely and admirably unique. The plot, if that’s the right word, concerns the oceanic wanderings of a lost boy, the young and eager Piscine Patel of the title (Pi). After a colourful and loving upbringing in gorgeously-hued India, the Muslim-Christian-animistic Pi sets off for a fresh start in Canada. His blissful voyage is rudely interrupted when his boat is scuppered halfway across the Pacific, and he is forced to rough it in a lifeboat with a hyena, a monkey, a whingeing zebra and a tiger called Richard. That would be bad enough, but from here on things get weirder: the animals start slaughtering each other in a veritable frenzy of allegorical bloodlust, until Richard the tiger and Pi are left alone to wander the wastes of ocean, with plenty of time to ponder their fate, the cruelty of the gods, the best way to handle storms and the various different recipes for oothappam, scrapple and coconut yam kootu. The denouement is pleasantly neat. According to the blurb, thirtysomething Yann Martel spent long years in Alaska, India, Mexico, France, Costa Rica, Turkey and Iran, before settling in Canada. All those cultures and more have been poured into this spicy, vivacious, kinetic and very entertaining fiction.[/b]

I had to go find the blurb for it!! Sounds good.
<

I've just finished reading Ugly by Constance Briscoe. It's the true story of Constance, and how she lived with a mother who contantly abused her, both physically and mentally. At one stage her mother moved away, and left her in a house with no money, food, electricity or gas. It's a very sad but inspirational story. Definately worth reading.

So.. I'm waiting for the next Shopaholic book (I've pre ordered) I' reading everything from Jane Green and Jennifer Weiner. I was wondering...what are you reading at the moment? I'll be finish pretty soon and I need some suggestions.
<

Gregory Maguire's Son of a Witch. It is the sequel to Wicked, the wizard of Oz told from the perspective of the Wicked Witch of the West.

He is an awesome writer by the way. I have read his other books: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, Mirror Mirror, and Lost

cmc, I merged your thread with the existing book review thread
<

The most amazing book I've ever read is The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffennegger. It had me in tears by the end, it was so sad. Have any of you guys read it?

I'm also in love with the Harry Potter books. I think they're amazing!

Another great book I've read is My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult. That made me cry too.
<

I'm reading the Handmaid's tale right now by Margaret Atwood. Then I'll be reading something lighter, like Villa of mysteries..heh..it's so light I can't even remember the writers name, that's emberassing
<

The best book I've ever read is "The joke" by Milan Kundera. I loved his Unbearable lightness of being as well, but not as much as this one.
Love George Orwell and his 1984 very much too.

Werbung:
I'm reading 'Failed States' by Noam Chomsky. It's really informative but almost too much, it's hard to keep in all that info.

I think my next book is going to be a nice novel.
<

Back