• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Suicidal Feelings

Snowbaby

There are many different reasons why people feel suicidal. Quite often there may be a number of contributory factors such as past experiences as well as present stresses. These, of course, will vary from person to person.

The intensity and duration of suicidal feelings also vary among different people and even in the same person at different times. Some people may have a very strong wish for death, either because they are very depressed or the future seems quite hopeless. Others may have more mixed feelings. They may see suicide as an answer to an intolerable situation, although they would not choose to die if they could find an alternative. And there are those who experience suicidal feelings that come and go but which usually seem under control. However, it is important to remember that any suicidal feelings can be life threatening, given certain circumstances.

If you yourself have been thinking about suicide and feel scared that you may act on these feelings it is important to get appropriate help or support from someone who understands what you are going through. See your GP as soon as possible and explain your feelings or phone a helpline or make e-mail contact with an organisation such as The Samaritans. It may also be a relief to talk to a close friend or relative whom you trust.

If you suspect that someone close to you is feeling suicidal, you will no doubt be feeling anxious and distressed and wondering what you should do.

You may find the following suggestions helpful.

• * Listen, with your full attention, without giving advice or making judgements.
    * Encourage the person to talk by asking 'how are you feeling?' or 'how long have you felt like that?'
    * Show that you take what they are saying seriously, even if they seem to be joking about suicide.
    * Avoid saying, 'Things can't be that bad,' or brushing them aside.
    * Don't argue with the person but reassure them that you care about them.
Warning signs

In some cases there may be no obvious warning signs. Some people manage to hide their despair so effectively that others are quite unaware of their true feelings and a suicide attempt or suicide may seem to come 'out of the blue'. In other cases signs may include:

• * talking about suicidal feelings and suicide, sometimes even describing how they intend to carry out the attempt. It is a myth that people who talk about suicide don't attempt it
    * talking about feeling worthless, hopeless, isolated or a failure or seeing no point in life
    * a marked change in behaviour such as seeming very calm or cheerful, after a period of distress
    * becoming very withdrawn and uncommunicative
    * sleeping badly, losing interest in food, drinking more or taking less care of themselves.
Samaritans
c/o Chris
PO Box 90 90
Stirling FK8 2SA
Helpline: 08457 90 90 90 (24 hours)
E-mail: jo@samaritans.org
The Samaritans exists to provide confidential emotional support to any person, irrespective of race, creed, age or status who is in emotional distress or at risk of suicide; 24 hours a day. Can be contacted by e-mail, telephone, writing, or by visiting one of over 200 local branches (details are on the website).

Source & Support Telephone Numbers

Werbung:
Yeah, suicide is a very very serious thing, my brother has many times tried it and once my best friend almost a sister we call ourselves twins but shes extremely emotional she was so close to, she was going to jump out her window...:':)'( sometimes I feel like I wanna slit my wrists...not to die...but just to feel...but then i find a way to get happy
<
<
:D:D Just this past year I think it was here in my town a girl was like 13 trying to freak her sisters out by pretending to commit suicide...she tried a little TOO hard and she did kill herself....its sad

*raises hand* I've attempted 4 times.

Most recently, I tried drowning myself after my ex broke up with me; twice.
I attempted once last year because I was so lonely (no friends). Luckily, I have 17+ friends this year. =)
I attempted once when I was younger (years ago) because I was engulfed in a deep fear of mine.

I have a friend who's attempted 6 times, and we keep eachother stable now.

I've had such sorrow and hurt that in time there are feelings of just thoughts of " It would be easier to deal with not living "

than a long pause of blank thought . my mom and the rest of my family members are in a time warp of denial when mental heath is concerned. It doesnt exhist even if my docter says it does sometimes , no one care to show support in any way, its rough but if anyone wants to talk about the sadness with someone who alsp goes through it . Go ahead and pm me or email me at
echoseddy@aol.com

I will be there , that is if im not in a hybersleep for three days. Im usualy on line once a day.
love
a girl power

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maddie The Punk Kid @ Dec 4 2007, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
*raises hand* I've attempted 4 times.

Most recently, I tried drowning myself after my ex broke up with me; twice.
I attempted once last year because I was so lonely (no friends). Luckily, I have 17+ friends this year. =)
I attempted once when I was younger (years ago) because I was engulfed in a deep fear of mine.

I have a friend who's attempted 6 times, and we keep eachother stable now.[/b]

I'm sorry, but I have to ask this..have you considered looking for professional help?

Suicide is a very serious thing and if this sounds like you then please get help. Go to the doctor or talk to someone. YOUR life is worth living and many people would be so sad if you left this earth. Please get help.

Just this past year, the suicide rates have been high among young people. It is very sad to see such statistics. Please, if you or anyone feels this way talk to someone! Get some help. We lost a young boy in our community last year because he felt he couldn't talk to anyone.

I was suicidal when I was a teenager, and I have gone through dark depressions since I've been an adult that made me think about suicide. Fortunately, I never attempted suicide. But many people do attempt or commit suicide and it is a very serious issue. Thank you all for sharing.

Werbung:
Being able to talk about it is a good thing. Thank you for sharing Christine. I have a good friend that went through some very tough times as a teen. Now as an adult, she has learned to cope and is doing quite well.

Back