• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Political Correctness

Werbung:
I think that so called "political correctness" is just another way of taking away our freedom of speach. It's ridiculous...a BLACKBOARD can no longer be called a BLACKboard, because that's racist? Give me a break!

Things are just getting crazy. I am tired of it all. We did not have any of those problems growing up and I think we all turned out fine.

This PC stuff has gotten way out of hand over the last few years. It's all in the minds of the people coming up with the foolishness and wouldn't be offensive in the least to the people they think it would offend. Wanna guess the race of one of my friends who'd laugh loudest at the blackboard and baa baa black sheep thing?

Actually such dumbness is FUELING racism by keeping it always in the forefront. Sheesh!

Yes I find the PC thing to be very annoying. Why they have to make a big deal of it? It is not like when you say black board you are making a slam at someone. It is a board that is black!

It is very annoying. It is just a window to create more problems. It is like saying to someone "don't think of a blue tree". So what do they think of? Yep, a blue tree. In trying to be so PC we just create more issues by drawing more unwanted (and un-needed) attention to it.

Racism is wicked and every right thinking person should stand up against it. It seems to me that a lot of political correctness is just plain silly and has very little to do with protecting against racism or anything else.

I think needing to make sense is never a prerequisite for the people who come up with these things, Luv2write. :)

Very true, Kernow. In fact, now that I'm thinking of it, isn't assuming that a particular race or other would be offended by something so silly a form of racism itself? Hmm... maybe I didn't say that right. :) I mean like isn't it indicating that a group is irrational or overly sensitive if they'd be upset over some of the ridiculous PC things that come out?

You might be on to something katharina. I know I'd be offended if someone assumed I'd be upset about something just because I'm white.

The whole PC thing is crazy now. I don't even know if it started out with good intentions anymore.

Some things I understand. I first remember it starting with certain words/names that can't be used. Well THAT makes sense and it was a good thing. But it snowballed to a ridiculous level and it's like a joke now which essentially cancels out any good that the initial changes may have brought.

This also escalated into the "Christmas issue" I think. I mean how weird is THAT?! Saying Merry Christmas doesn't offend my Jewish friends... they just say "thanks, but I'm celebrating Hanukkah" and it's all over. Muslim people say "I don't celebrate, but I hope you have a good Christmas" and it's all over. There are much better things the policymakers should be doing.

I think the problem is that it is not always what is said but how it is said. Two people can say the same words, one can be totally innocent and not give offence at all but another person can make the same words deeply insulting.

Werbung:
That is a good point, it is not just the words, it is the tone used and the way that the words are said that can make something offensive.

Back