• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Pelvic Exams

altrouge

Has anyone here underwent pelvic exams before? I might be having my first one some time this month or next month, depending on when I have the time. I've searched on the internet and the idea of a metal rod thing (the speculum) inside me is not appealing at all :(

How did it go for you? I feel a bit uneasy about the situation since I'm still a virgin and my hymen will most likely get in the way, not to mention even now I still even have a tough time getting a finger or tampon in up in there..

Werbung:
First and foremost, the most important thing to do is tell your doctor up front that you're a virgin and you're concerned. They will walk you through every single step of what they're doing....and they'll use their smallest speculum. :)

And if you're using tampons, chances are, you don't have much of a hymen left either. Yes, you're going to be smaller and tighter, so it's going to feel weird during the exam, but it shouldn't hurt. If it even starts to feel like it might, tell your doctor and they can stop or switch tools. The whole exam only takes maybe 5 minutes, even with them taking it slow and talking you through what they're doing. They'll only be inside you for maybe 30 seconds total, to swab with a long Q-tip looking thing (much smaller than a tampon or finger even, no?) and you'll be on your way. If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask them either. :)

Thank you for that :) I've only used a tampon once or twice, so I doubt it. Also, I checked and it's still tightly intact (yes I do check it... xD). I've searched on the internet about this and I saw responses from women who aren't even virgin anymore who still experience pain while at it and some ended up crying during the exam so that scared me a bit. I have a lot of questions for them in hand, so I guess I can bear with how it can be uncomfortable by talking with them during the test.

I was actually going to recommend you look. The thing is, everyone is under the impression that the hymen simply "breaks" when you have sex. It actually tends to tear and stretch instead, though, so you could insert a tampon while being a virgin and stretch it to the side or tear it a tiny bit each time. Getting the exam may do the same thing and even as a virgin, shouldn't actually hurt.

And again, if you do start feeling any pain, just speak up! I actually -have- had a bad experience with the doctor before, but it isn't normally like that and a good doctor will do everything they can to put you at ease. They know it's nerve wracking the first time (or heck, even times after the first). And it actually makes their job harder if you're nervous/stressed/scared because you'll tense up. Don't be surprised if they tell you to just breathe or to remember to breathe, etc, because even if you don't mean to, you could tighten your muscles when you tense up, which just makes it uncomfy, hehe.

they are not a big deal!! You will go through more with child bearing!! I had to have my hymen clipped. It did not hurt much. Healing hurt a little more.

I was actually going to recommend you look. The thing is, everyone is under the impression that the hymen simply "breaks" when you have sex. It actually tends to tear and stretch instead, though, so you could insert a tampon while being a virgin and stretch it to the side or tear it a tiny bit each time. Getting the exam may do the same thing and even as a virgin, shouldn't actually hurt.

And again, if you do start feeling any pain, just speak up! I actually -have- had a bad experience with the doctor before, but it isn't normally like that and a good doctor will do everything they can to put you at ease. They know it's nerve wracking the first time (or heck, even times after the first). And it actually makes their job harder if you're nervous/stressed/scared because you'll tense up. Don't be surprised if they tell you to just breathe or to remember to breathe, etc, because even if you don't mean to, you could tighten your muscles when you tense up, which just makes it uncomfy, hehe.

That's actually one of my problems, I try to relax but I still end up tightening up although I keep staying in my mind that it wouldn't be painful, just an awkward feeling. I have inserted a finger down there before and had the same experience, and it wasn't really painful, just the feeling of being stuffed :D. I've also heard cases of women having sex for loads of times already and their hymens are still pretty intact o_O

To be honest I don't care about the hymen tearing off and such, what I'm thinking of is how it will get in the way, but it seems like it should be fine.
they are not a big deal!! You will go through more with child bearing!! I had to have my hymen clipped. It did not hurt much. Healing hurt a little more.

Haha, I wouldn't be expecting experiencing childbirth until more or less 10 years so :p. May I ask why you had them clipped? Did you have a problem with it or you just wanted it off?

I have never had a pelvic exam and would never want to either. I requested not to have one done during my pregnancy and my midwife respected my wish. Good luck at your exam and let us know how it goes! I'm sure it won't be too bad as long as you let your doctor know that you are nervous.

That's actually one of my problems, I try to relax but I still end up tightening up although I keep staying in my mind that it wouldn't be painful, just an awkward feeling. I have inserted a finger down there before and had the same experience, and it wasn't really painful, just the feeling of being stuffed :D. I've also heard cases of women having sex for loads of times already and their hymens are still pretty intact :confused:

Yep, the hymen is really stretchy, so it can easily be pushed to the side and not actually tear or only a little bit. On the flip side, it can also easily tear doing things that don't involve any penetration, like riding a bike or horse! It's a finicky little thing, huh?

And as for tightening up even when you know you shouldn't, I just focus on breathing. I may still tense up some, but that's okay...it's not going to kill the exam entirely and they're used to it. Some tensing is normal anyway because hey, something is being put inside you, right? Btu by focusing on making sure I'm breathing (instead of holding my breath in anticipation), I can also force a bit of relaxation and the exam's over before it really even got started. It's amazing how much they can get done in just a minute or two.

Pelvic exams can be scary, sure. I was nervous my first time and I was 18. I know it sounds easier than it really is, but just try to relax. I have a friend who suffers from a condition where she has great difficulty relaxing her muscles down there, so let your doctor know that up front.

I agree with the other women, DON'T FORGET TO BREATHE! Sometimes you get anxious and hold your breath and it makes it much worse.

I'd rather have a pelvic exam over going to the dentist any day! I was recently diagnosed with endometriosis, and had more than a dozen pelvic exams in the span of three months while doctors were trying to figure out what was going on with me.

Expect the instruments to be cold and you'll feel some quick pressure. Otherwise, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Yep, the hymen is really stretchy, so it can easily be pushed to the side and not actually tear or only a little bit. On the flip side, it can also easily tear doing things that don't involve any penetration, like riding a bike or horse! It's a finicky little thing, huh?

And as for tightening up even when you know you shouldn't, I just focus on breathing. I may still tense up some, but that's okay...it's not going to kill the exam entirely and they're used to it. Some tensing is normal anyway because hey, something is being put inside you, right? Btu by focusing on making sure I'm breathing (instead of holding my breath in anticipation), I can also force a bit of relaxation and the exam's over before it really even got started. It's amazing how much they can get done in just a minute or two.

When I put my finger down there several times that's basically what I did. I start pushing it in when I'm exhaling, and noticed that it works best that way, compared to when you're still inhaling. Also I exhaled really slowly and it does help in relaxing the muscles a bit. That's what I did too when I used tampons (I don't use them now, I've decided to stick to pads until my pelvic exam is done).

So see? You know how well breathing helps relax those muscles and make it more comfortable. The speculum is obviously a bit bigger than your finger, but the idea is the same. And keep in mind that all your little parts down there are squishy and flexible....for lack of a better description. If your muscles are relaxed, the rest moves quite a bit on its own without anything blocking it, so your own muscle tensing is the only thing that would make it worse, ya know?

And again, just tell your doctor it's the first for you and they'll walk you through everything. Heck, they do anyway. And they'll chit chat and make small talk, too, so you 're not sitting there obsessing over what's going on. I had a doctor make me laugh a time or two during an exam even, as bizarre as that might sound, but they do this day in and day out, so they tend to know what they're doing to help keep people relaxed and feeling as least awkward as possible.

I've used OB for 4 years and then lost my virginity like all girls do. I wished the tampon would do the 'job', since my first time was horribly painful :D

I'm a big baby myself, even if not a teen anymore, so I can understand you're being apprehensive about this. Go to a nice doctor though, maybe female, if you feel better (I like female doctors best myself), mention you're a virgin and let the lady do her job. Just relax and you should be fine. My first OBGYN visit was scary, until I got there and felt NOTHING. If you're relaxed and your doctor knows how to do the job, you should be fine. It's always good to do these exams since you never know what you can find out. Better know you're doing well 'down there' than god forbid have problems

I've used OB for 4 years and then lost my virginity like all girls do. I wished the tampon would do the 'job', since my first time was horribly painful :D

I'm a big baby myself, even if not a teen anymore, so I can understand you're being apprehensive about this. Go to a nice doctor though, maybe female, if you feel better (I like female doctors best myself), mention you're a virgin and let the lady do her job. Just relax and you should be fine. My first OBGYN visit was scary, until I got there and felt NOTHING. If you're relaxed and your doctor knows how to do the job, you should be fine. It's always good to do these exams since you never know what you can find out. Better know you're doing well 'down there' than god forbid have problems

If I had the choice to not engage in pelvic exams, I would never get one. However I have been having problems relative to down there, so I need to get checked to see if I have any complications.

Speaking of which, does anyone know a case whereas your hymen's colour is paint white?

does anyone know a case whereas your hymen's colour is paint white?

Totally normal. It can be all shades of white/pink, so nothing to worry about. Also, keep in mind that your natural vaginal fluids tend to vary in color from clear to white, too, so you may be seeing a slight film over the area that makes it look various colors, too. :)

Werbung:
Totally normal. It can be all shades of white/pink, so nothing to worry about. Also, keep in mind that your natural vaginal fluids tend to vary in color from clear to white, too, so you may be seeing a slight film over the area that makes it look various colors, too. :)

It's freaked me and my mother out. I know that it's supposed to look pinkish and mine is like that (usually) but for the past few weeks it has been constantly looking paint white :eek:, like as white or even a bit whiter than my avatar's face . I have no worries about my vaginal fluids, they're always clear to me every time I see it.. :p

Back