• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Overworked & Underpaid

thistle

Now before I start......I just wanted to make it clear that I LOVE my job but...

A few weeks ago my manager handed in his notice because our assistant manager was a back stabbing *****, I liked Tony a lot but his mnanagerial skills were less than perfect shall we say...hard worker but totally USELESS at being organised. Assistant manager on the other hand was very well organised but lazy
<
. Last week, she too left for another job......

This leaves lil ole ME as next in commad as the ONLY keyholder to the store....to make it clear.......the ONLY person capable of opening up every morning and locking up every night..........also the person who takes ALL the responsibility for the day to day running of the store.

This in itself is fine, I'm enjoying the challenge BUT.....I'm also doing the manager's job, the assistant manager's job plus my own job for a paltry £5.50 an hour
<
. again this would ok because I have applied for both positions and if I get a promotion it will be worth it ( I think).

The big problem is that we (on top of having no management) have sod all staff. For example....this morning there was me and one other girl who worked till for me.....as soon as she finished another girl started....still only me and one member of staff. This leaves me to do all the managerial jobs PLUS try and keep the shelfs full in the entire store by myself..........it can't be done.....not without growing another set of arms anyway.

I am getting NO support from other stores whatsoever.....nothing......I can't even be sure I am getting a day off this week because there is no one to open up if I'm not there.

Now, if the big bosses from head office took all this intpo account then again I could cope but I have awoman coming down tomorrow and I KNOW she will start the day by saying "why is there no price on that?"........"why is that there?"....."why has that not been done?"......."why has that not been finished?" etc etc etc <add any moan you can think of>. Now I think( actualy KNOW) I am doing a damn good job all things considered but she won't see it that way, I'm going to get moaned at constantly 2morro.

Now if I moan back and whine about the fact that I can't do it all by myself then she is going to report back that I can't handle the responsibility of running the store.......bang goes the managers job.
<

I ache all over.....think I had a total of 10 minutes break all day......and even then I was doing paperwork whilst I sat down.

And it looks like I'm stuck in this same position til at least after New Year. All I want is a bit of recognition for the work I HAVE put in and it's a hell of a lot I can tell you but that won't happen........they seem to focus only on the mistakes.

Thank God I have subby here to cook for me because I'd crack up otherwise.

OH.......aaaaaaaaaaand........the manager who quit? since he found out the assistant has left......has decided to apply for HER job. YAY u would think, an extra set of hands.....WRONG.... IF I get the managers job then all is well and good but if not as far as I'm concerned if he gets that job he is effectively stealing a promotion from me that I was promised should the assistant leave.

*not a happy bunny*

Werbung:
<

You do do your job well, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. If this lady tmor asks questions like why is this not done.... tell her it's cos you're running the store single handedly... be honest!!!!! Tell her, you aren't getting breaks.

and have another
<

Fankies kins
<

Truth be told, if she starts on me tomorrow I'll probably have a huge row with her than start crying
<

I don't mind anyone pointing out my mistakes but I want credit where it's due and I damn well deserve some credit for what I've done.....and a 15 minute coffee break would be nice as well lol

*sigh*

So she came down today........

First thing....."The perfume counter's untidy"......"The promotion bays need filled"......"why's there's no price on that?"........."why are those there?"........."The floor needs cleaned".........etc etc etc yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah......
<

THEN.........

"But on the whole, you've done a good job........I'm promoting you to temporary assistant manager"
<

So reading between the lines........if I do a damn good job of running the store between now and whenever they decide to start holding interviews......the job will be mine, I mean they can hardly NOT give it to me if I've already done it for 2 months and done it well.

Meh.....looks like I'm gonna have to ask the girlies at work to get behind me on this one and do all they can to help me secure this position *bribes co workers*

<

YAY for happiness! YAY for getting assistant manager! Don't worry, I think you'll get it. Because, you know, I know these things
<

You DO do a DAMN good job.

*crosses fingers for you*

Awesome Thistle
<

Now I am going to add some advice:

Learn to delagate. You cannot do everything by yourself and nor should you be expected to.

Set the standard with the expectation that it will be followed.

As far as head office goes do not let them be intimidating. Your goal and theirs is the same, the successful runing of the store. Tell them what you need to accomplish that.

Be confidant.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. (oh and remember to take your lunch)

Originally posted by Dot@Dec 7 2005, 03:53 PM
Learn to delagate. You cannot do everything by yourself and nor should you be expected to.
lol tis a lot easier said than done unfortunately. There are only so many jobs it is possible to delegate to whoever is manning till.........and I get tired of ending up doing them myself at the end of the day anyway (note to self......asses get kicked from now on)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Set the standard with the expectation that it will be followed.[/b]
Mwahahahahahahaha.........they all scared of my standards lol.....I work a cage of stock in one hour......they take 4 hours to work a trolley. But again, I'm gonna be hard on them about that.....I can't do their jobs just because they run at "leisure" speed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. (oh and remember to take your lunch)[/b]

thankies Dotty
<
. I forgot my lunch again today
<
but hey what's the point of being the oss if you don't send a member of staff to the bakers to get summat for you?
<

I spoke to the 2 girls that were working today and pre warned them that I was gonna be pretty strict from now on.....they're great tho and are 100% behind me. I even gave them their own wee sections of the store to look after ....... hopefully if they have the responsibility of a particular job they will take a bit more pride in their work and a bit more pressure off me (that's the plan anyway). Tomorrow is another story.......the girl I haven't spoke to as yet is a giant pain in the ass. You know the kind of person who wants to come into work and get paid just for showing up? well that's her lol. She's gonna be in for a shock, I aint missing out on a permanent promotion just because she can't be bothered to move into second gear.

*cracks knuckles*

<

She as usual forgets her lunch everyday.

Its cos she can't cope without seeing me during the day, its a fruedian mistake.
<

Werbung:
Back