• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

No requirements for uni

Potholer

Ok this is only applicable to NZers but still, what are people's opinions -

One of the maori politicans here has mentioned one of his pet projects that he hopes will be implemented here at some stage. He wants there to be no academic requirements for all Maori (NZ's indigenous peoples, for those who don't know)to get into uni. Right now you have to have completed NCEA levels 1, 2 and 3 (which a certain number of "credits" or points in literary and numeracy skills) if you are under 20 to get into uni. If you are over 20 there are no requirements.

He says that the cultural background of Maori means they are unable to enter uni because of these requirements, about half drop out of school before completing level one NCEA (around the age of 15) and many lack basic literacy and numeracy (there have been complaints from high schools saying their students can't do the work because they are lacking in these areas).

Personally, without being racist I hope, I think this is a ridiculous idea. If these people aren't able to make it through high school then why would they be any more driven to succeed in a learning atmosphere that is purely selfdriven, completely reliant on your own self-motivation. Especially if they haven't learned any/sufficient study skills from secondary school.

I understand where he's coming from with the cultural atmosphere of the Maori, I'm pretty sure the highest rates of family violence are in this social group, it's not exactly conducive to academic success (because learning begins in the home!).

The politician knows this wont happen with the current government (thank god) but will continue to push his case until a more sympathetic government is in power.

Opinions?

Werbung:
Ok so may not be from NZ but I have to say ....

This is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard !!! I don't give a d... about anyones cultural background, they can be martian for all I care but sticking in at school and getting good grades is not just about proving how "clever" you are, it's also about proving that you are willing to dedicate your TIME and EFFORT into gaining something back.

If someone cannot prove that they will put the effort into studying then why the hell should they be given the chance to waste another opportunity at education at the expense of someone who has done all the hard slog to EARN that place !

Like it or not, places in higher education are limited and there are good reasons for those places going to students who have the best grades and race/background/skin colour etc etc should have nothing to do with it

IF this idea gets the go ahead then hundreds (thousands?) of Non-Maori students are going be discriminated against, both those who have earnt the grades to go to Uni but cannot get in because there are no places left but also those who have NOT earnt the grades to get in but would have been given a place anyway if they had been Maori.

Yet another example of political correctness sending everyone mad

:s

Werbung:
Too right T!

The ridiculous thing is (well, one of them) is that this isn't even a policitician trying to get the Maori vote, he seems to fully believe in the righteousness and fairness of something like this!

How much more mature does this guy think Maori young'uns are going to get in the five years between dropping out of school and reaching the age of 20 whereby they don't need any qualifications to get in anyway.

I jsut can't believe this guy thinks it's actually a worthwhile move when more funding should be put into making sure all students have at least basic literacy and numeracy! Funding into primary and secondary schools where the problem is born and propogated rather than funding something which is way past the critical period of learning. WAY past.

Back