• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Neti Pot linked to brain infections

kristyleann

Werbung:
Yes, nasal irrigation (sometimes with a neti pot)...with tap water is not the best or wisest thing to do. But with warm purified water...and a little bit of salt to make a saline solution, it is probably one of the best things you can do to beat allergies etc...and just have a healthier life.

It is recommended by many healthy professionals including Dr Andrew Weil, Dr Mehmet Oz and the doctors on the television educational show, The Doctors.

But you are spot on that doing it with impure and possibly infected tap water can cause problems - as anything infected would.

Ah, your headline scared me! I JUST used a Neti Pot and so I was freaking out. What a relief to find it was tap water. I did use distilled warm water with my salt. I had a really bad sinus headache that just wouldn't go away. My head felt like it was throbbing so I went to my Neti Pot for relief and I can breathe again. It really does wonders, but should be used correctly!

Oh wow, thank you for this link! I just got a neti pot due to horrible allergy congestion. I was planning on just using tap water, too! Thanks again.

Ewww! I hadn't even thought about something like that being possible. I know you should be careful with what you put in yourself in general, but who knew regular tap water might lead to a brain infection? This makes me even happier that I don't use them in the first place.

Scary stuff! My husband has pollen allergies and uses a neti pot as recommended by his doctor, but his doctor emphasized the need to use distilled water and to NEVER use tap water.

This does make me wonder though... I occasionally get water up my nose when I'm rinsing off in the shower. I know the article says the risks of getting the infection from bathing are low, but it still makes me think about investing in some nose plugs...

I know a lot of people who use a neti pot. Yikes. I didn't even know that this was something that could happen until now. I will be sure to warn all of them about it. Who knew??

I use something similar, but didn't know anything about having a problem with tap water. So yes I have been using tap water, but I don't use it often. Even worse, we have town water. Tho with the treatment our water goes through, maybe it is better then well water. Still not taking a chance again tho, thank you for sharing this!

Edit: People were getting some kind of brain destroying bacteria from swimming in our river last year. At least that is what was being said. Kind of scary really.

I know several people that use Neti-pots, but they don't use tap water. I will definitely let them know anyway.

I had been reading too online that there are lots of people who are fond of neti-pots.
It will be alarming if majority are not aware of this and nice that you had shared this information here on this thread. Thanks for sharing.

I have been reading up about this brain eating amoeba and found out that more people then expected have this enter their system. The only thing is they are doing more testing to see why it only infects and kills certain people. Not sure of the details, but supposedly a couple of people have died from it swimming in water too. Heavily treated pools do not have this because the chemicals kill the amoeba. It also said that treated municipal water does not contain the amoeba because the chemical process kills it off too. But well water, lakes, untreated water, rivers and such have a good chance of containing this amoeba. Kind of scary, huh?

The article was saying that many people have probably had it enter their system but their system fought it off making them immune. Still best not to take any chances!!

But well water, lakes, untreated water, rivers and such have a good chance of containing this amoeba. Kind of scary, huh?

Uh, yeah, just a little bit. :S

I guess if your immune system is awesome, then there's not as much to worry about. I'd be really concerned with kids, elderly, etc, though.

Werbung:
Back