• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Morning Sickness

Snowbaby

Nausea and vomiting of pregnancy (NVP), commonly called morning sickness, affects from 50 to 80% of pregnant women. Women have been suffering for centuries, but we still don't understand the exact mechanisms or causes. NVP is probably due to a number of factors (a combination of physiologic changes, higher levels of hormones, higher sensitivity to odours, etc.).

NVP is often referred to as "morning sickness" however, it does not necessarily only occur in the morning. It may appear at any time of the day. Moreover, some women may experience it for a short period of time, yet most will suffer for many weeks.

NVP usually develops between the 4th and 6th week of pregnancy. In half of the cases it ends by the 14th to 16th week of pregnancy. Unfortunately, some women have NVP throughout their entire pregnancy. This is a condition that can have significant effects on the wellbeing and the activities of daily living of pregnant woman and her family. If you are suffering from NVP, talk to your healthcare professional.

Source

Werbung:
Some tips to ease morning sickness:-

* Eat frequent small meals every 2 - 3 hours.

* Don't like down immediately after eating.

* Eat dry crackers 15 minutes before getting out of bed in the morning.

* Don't skip meals.

* NVP may worsen when you get overtired. Try to increase resting periods and take more naps during the day.

* Finally, if your symptoms persist or worsen consult your healthcare professional.

Source

Hyperemesis Gravidarum is the terminology for Severe Morning Sickness - this is a form of MS that may require hospitalisation due to the lack of fluids and inability to keep food down meaning the body uses up it's own stores of nutrients and once they're gone this can adverseley affect the baby as well as the mother.

However HG only occurrs in roughly 1:1,000 ratio as such is not very common.

One suggestion - which I followed myself during my pregnancy was Ginger Biscuits - always carried a packet in the car and at the first twinge of sicky feelins i'd nibble on it and always worked!

Merlin xx

The Good News!

Yes there is some - mild to moderate morning sickness is actually a sign of a healthy pregnancy - and is associated with a reduced risk of miscarriage!

So - if yer being somewhat sicky - tis a good thing! Means the balance of your hormones supporting the pregnancy is in the right direction!

So keep those puke bowls handy!

xx :eek:)

Werbung:
Back