• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Male or Female doctors

SlapHappy

Do you have a preference of what sex doctor you see?

For just a regular doctor I don't especially care but I think all my doctors have been male. For a gynecologist I prefer a woman. I just couldn't cope with a male gynecologist. I have heard that male gynecologist tend to be gentler than their female counterparts. What are your thoughts?

Werbung:
I have no issue either way and I do agree about male doctors being gentler during physical exams but that is purely my own experience. I can totally understand why a woman would request a female doctor, these exams are invasive after all. I personally don't see the difference, as long as both sexes are gentle, understanding and professional, I just want to get it over with! :)

I suppose it depends on what I'm going in for. If I'm getting a regular check up, I could care less who does it as long as it's
done right and efficiently and gets me the heck out of there sooner. But if I'm going in for something a little more invasive,
like a pap smear or something, I suppose I'd rather have a woman. I know that they aren't looking at me in a sexual way
or trying to fondle me or anything, but I would be super uncomfortable having a guy down there fiddling with my lady parts.

I really don't mind having either a female or male doctor as my gynecologist. I had a fair share of both when I had my four children. I find that a male doctor can be more understanding and more patient than a female doctor. Female doctors seem to be more mechanical and distant and less empathetic.

I really don't mind, what matters is that the doctor must be understanding and gentle. Seeing from the comments above that male doctors can be more like this, I guess the next time I'd opt for a male one.

I prefer a female doctor. I don't mind having a male doctor, but I prefer and seek out female doctors. Although, I had a male orthopedic doctor and I loved him to death.

I prefer a male doctor. I have had issues with female doctors in the past and the only ones that have treated me well have been the males that I switched to. I know I may be stereotyping there, but I will never go back to another female doctor if at all possible.

I have had a few of each. I do admit the men are gentler, a woman will just handle business regardless if it hurts you shes just gettin the job done where a man tends to be more concerned about your comfort and not hurting you. This is just my experiences though so I cant make any definite remarks either way. Theres good and bad doctors all around.

I just need a good doctor...very hard to come by in the past. If I had to choose, I would say a male in that I have had my best experiences with male doctors but i have had one or two okay female doctors too. So. Yes, just a good doctor -->male and/or female, just good at what they do.

I have always had male oby/gyn doctors, when I was having my children. Now I am in a small town and the doctor lives local and I would see him in the gas station or local store. I have the nurse do my pap smear. I am more comfortable with that.

As long as the doctor is good, I don't care either way. I've had both good and bad experiences with both genders. I had a great male gynecologist for years, but my insurance changed and I had to start having my regular doctor do my pap smears. My regular doctor is a woman, and she actually does a pretty good job. I barely felt anything on my last one. She also jokes around with me, which helps! Granted, I usually start the joking as a stress relief technique, but she plays along.

She also jokes around with me, which helps! Granted, I usually start the joking as a stress relief technique, but she plays along.

That's a sign of a good doctor. They know how tense and stressful the whole thing can be, so if they can joke along or have conversation the entire time, it'll loosen you up. That also makes their job easier, too, because you're not tightening those muscles without thinking about it.

I don't have a preference now that I am not having any more children. As a check-up it makes no difference to me. I have 2 girls and each pregnancy was a different doctor. My first daughter I had female mid-wives who were really cool, had their own children so they knew what to expect and they were very understanding. During labor, they were very comforting and all about waiting on the child to be ready. The mid-wife who delivered her didn't want to cut me to hurry it along, she kept telling me to try to hold out on pushing a couple more contractions to try to prevent me from tearing. A little tear happened anyway, but she was very cool and professional about the whole situation. She waited for Dad to come over to cut the cord knowing it was important to him. She did what she could to make sure I was comfortable even tho she had a couple ladies in labor at the same time. She came in and out until my daughter was ready to come.

Now for the male doctor, he was professional and knew what he was doing. He was a bit impatient tho. Instead of waiting a few more contractions, he decided to cut me (I had no anesthetic in me, no pain relief and was not numb) which hurt like you don't want to know!! I can't even explain what that felt like without having any pain medicine or anesthetic in me. But I guess my daughter was taking "too long" to come and he couldn't wait a few more contractions. Then he cut the cord before Dad could have a chance to come over and do it. My honey sat back out of the way, but close enough to be there. The doctor should have waited for him to cut the cord.

It may have been my experience, but if I were to have another baby it would be a female doctor. But as I said, for a check-up I don't care male or female.

I agree with you. For my primary care doctor I prefer male doctors. I have always preferred male doctors and my mom could never figure out why. When they do physicals they seem to go a lot quicker and they don't make you change into a rope. They tend to ask more questions than actually examine you.
However, for a mid-wife or a similar doctor, I prefer a female as they can relate and I feel that they are able to answer questions more clearly.

Werbung:
Now that I have had two children, I have no preference whatsoever what gender my doctor/gyno is. They are all there to do the same thing, have the same education, and when it comes down to it, see body parts as one in the same. I work in health care as a nurse and, honestly, once you have seen a few penises or vaginas, you have seen them all. And since they are patient's, you just don't see them in THAT way!!!! You just do the job and move on.

Back