• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Inequality among females in literature

strongerthanever

Do you agree that most women's characters in literature are related to adultery most of the time? I've just read this article: Women in Literature by Simone Klugman and I've realized that although what they've done was judged as wrong, it is only showed of how we are born with so much strength and power to pursue our happiness.

Do you think so?

Werbung:
"Most women, Most of the time"? No, I don't agree. I know some were famous for it -- Madame Bovary, for example, but the book was seen as outrageous when it came out and it was a revolution of itself. And yes, associated with the showing of female desire over "morals".

I think I cannot really remember this many works of literature where women were cheating on their husbands, though. For the examples you might bring up, I'm pretty sure there are hundreds more of literary women who were not cheating. You could argue it's an important theme, but for sure not that it's most women, most of the time.

Oh though I can also think about this theme in 1001 Nights, with Sheherazade redeeming the adultery of previous cheating women, since the Sultan had been led to see/believe that all women would commit adultery. Great work of fiction.

Back