• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Girl Power- In The Workplace

Dot

Reading Tilly's post in the hug thread about having problems with her supervisor gave me this idea.

*hugs Tilly*

Putting our heads together we can prolly come up with great solutions to pesky work problems such as problems with a coworker or having to write a letter to a higher up, job interviews ...you get the gist.

Werbung:
*hugs Dotty*

That's a great idea! Maybe something useful will come out of it for me...

*takes opportunity to vent*

Just a quick briefing: I work for an elected representative. He has 4 people who work for him, including myself, the "supervisor" and two other guys who essentially do the same kind of duties I do.

Anyway, today was absolutely ridiculous. In the past several months tensions have been running high between myself and the "supervisor. I think she's been feeling quite threatened by me because I've been doing things like "making decisions" and "delegating work" (a total sin, I know). She hates this. Problem is, she's NEVER around and is completely incompetent even as a basic seceratary.

Anyway, us remaining three have been suspecting for a while that she would try and get rid of me. Only today was her first real attempt. She gave me a message that was on the phone, and I gave it to my co-worker because he works on those types of cases. She finds out, FREAKS, pulls me into my boss' office and tells me I'm "on notice" and have 1 week to change my attitude.

What the hell.

So I immediately called my boss (thankfully I had a big talk with him the day before about my worries) and I told him what just happened. I know they had a conversation on the phone but I'm not sure what happened after that, or what will happen.

So now I feel like I'm really left dangling. She's obviously going to try and convince him that I'm a terrible employee and she's trying to pin anything she can on me. I don't think he's stupid but I still don't know how this will all turn out.

I obviously want out of my job at this point but can't leave without having something else to go to... I live on my own and live paycheck to paycheck. I'm so *sweary word* off at all this, I find it unreal.

Sorry, I had to vent... any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

*Edited for spelling.

First off whatever you do don't quit...yet.

How do the other 2 guys feel about her?

How does your boss feel about her?

How long have you worked there now?

Does she have the power to fire you?

About being on notice, is this a first warning? was it verbal or was it written?

I'm going to look up some stuff at Canada Employment Standards...
<

The other 2 feel the same way about her as I do, they've talked to the boss before but he was under the impression that the tension had passed. When I talked to him yesterday he was surprised that it was pretty bad and that I was getting the worst of it (the other 2 feel that way too).

I'm not sure how the boss feels about her. He's not completely oblivious to what's been going on but they have known each other for a long time and I'm sure other people outside of the office have complained about her too.

I've been there for 15 months, and at this point I'm not sure if she has the power to fire me. On some level I think she does, but I don't think my boss would let her get away with that without his permission. And the warning was verbal and a first notice.

I tried looking up websites on Labour and Work in the province but didn't find anything useful just yet. I wouldn't hesitate to say that what she's doing is harassement -- she's creating a hostile environment, to say the least.

Hmm... I'm not sure what the ESA can do. The Human Rights Commission seems more promising, though it's kind of hard to read.

*wishes she'd taken more law classes*

I included that because you need to know what your rights are in the event of termination. What they can and can't do to you

Tilly I think you have done exactly the right thing by bringing it to your bosses attention. You have to stand up for yourself and not let her intimidate you in the slightest or she will have her say and no one will ever contradict her version of events.

Speak to your co workers as well.....if they can point out incidences where they have witnessed this woman harassing you and are willing to speak out then your boss cannot fail to see the true picture.

or as Subby would like me to point out there is an alternative..........Come live with us
<
Gawd he's a perv.

I think over the weekend I will have to prepare myself for a possible confrontation next week. I think at this point it's inevitable and I need to be armed (with words
<
)!

Oh, and
<
to Subby.
<

Werbung:
Tilly... a place I worked at as a Supervisor, one girl under my supervision would do absolutely nothing I asked her to... in fact she'd do the opposite.

If there's one piece of advice I could give you, it's do not confront her in a situation where it's JUST you and her. Even if someone is within earshot... don't do it alone. You would only have her word against yours.

And I agree with Dot, don't give in and leave. Kick her ass before you leave. Not matter how crappy the job (may be) is, you aren't the one in the wrong and don't give her the satisfaction of telling white lies to people!

AND.... as dotty said... get a diary, write down everything. I.e. if today she made a nasty remark. Or today she made you do the lowest of low duties. Anything that discriminates against you... date, time, what was said, actions.

I know it seems extreme, but you wont be able to forget important details that way
<

Back