• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Genealogy

thistle

Yes I am a geek it's true. Tracing my family tree has become not so much a hobby as an obsession with me (as subby will confirm)
<

Apparently you are doing well if you can name all 8 of your gt grandparents.......I went one better I can now name all 16 of my gt gt grandparents plus a few gt gt gt grandparents and one or two gt gt gt gt grandparents.

Now I thought I was doing really well considering I have only been researching my mother's side for approx 2 years........I recently emailed my Aunt because I know she has been doing my dad's side for a few years and decided to ask her for the info she had. Now I thought that if I was lucky she would have info going back to the 1600's? no !....she has only bloomin well managed to get my gran's family back to the 1100's !!!!!!!!!!!! I mean seriously !!! 1000 years !!!!!! holy £$%^

I'm waiting for her to send the complete file to me so I can start adding it to my own tree but it's gonna take me MONTHS to transcribe all that info lol.

So some of the interesting facts found so far...

An eyewitness account to my gt uncle's plane being shot down over France during WW2 (unfortunately my grandfather died without ever knowing that his brother had a grave, he always thought he was buried in an unmarked grave or worse just plain lost)

An ancestor who fought in William Wallace's army against England.

A connection to the Royal bloodlines of Scotland !!! indeed I am a real princess!!!! (somewhat diluted:p)

Irish tinkers.

Family feuds

Illegitimacy.

Adoption.

Family fortunes!!!!! ...darnit! I need to find out what branch of the family got that !!

There is stil however one thing I would love to find in my family ... a WITCH !! oh how I would love to find someone who was burned at the stake, how cool would that be? My father is waiting for me to prove a link between my mother's family and Vlad the Impaler :s ....... I told him that would have to wait.......we'd have to go through Genghis Khan first
<

So anyone else do this? anyone? anywhere?

Werbung:
Well .......

you start by getting as much info as you can from your family and then once you have written everything down it starts costing money unfortunately. There are genealogy forums where you can ask othe rmembers if they are connected to your family and other sites where you can access census records and birth/marriage/death records (this is the bit that costs money)

I've probably spend a few hundred pounds so far accessing records but I'm sure my Aunt must have spent thousands by now.

Shame it isn't free
<

My great great grandfather on my dad's side Daniel Carroll signed the Constitution, and one of my uncles is Maxie Anderson, who flew the first hot air balloon across the Atlantic. I don't know exactly how he's related to me, but I know that he is. I have the National Geographic he was in.
<

<
Snuffs !!!!!!! you need to to your family tree !!!!!!! I would KILL to have something that important in my tree !!!

And Mary? how do you know that yoru ancestors didn't do anything important if you haven't esearched lol? apparently my gt gt grandfather invented an improvement to the flushing toilet .......... but some bad sales rep STOLE the patent !!!!!!!!!
<

Oh and did I mention that a relation of mine as hanged for stealing a sheep ? yes that's right .... I am descended from hardened criminal types ....... almost as bad as the mafia we are ........ hide your sheep, thistle's about (oh wait!!! that didn't sound right .......... oops)

<

My ancestors were not terribly famous, but they were interesting.
Dad's side smuggled themselves out of Switzerland and into America in wine barrels in the 1600's because the Swiss army was force-enlisting and they didn't believe in fighting. Ironic, considering how much they argue.
<
Mum's side had a great-great-great (I'm not entirely sure how many great's) grandfather fighting with the French in the French and Indian war, we have the sash he wore in battle. I believe he was half French, half Indian. Irony runs in the family. Neither side of my family can be traced through ancestry.com or through census records because one was here already (who know how far back) and the other came here 200 years before Ellis Island and not through traditional means.
<
(one wonders how much wine was in the barrels before they crawled into them)
No princesses here (*sigh*), just a half-German with an interesting history.
<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thistle @ May 17 2007, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And Mary? how do you know that yoru ancestors didn't do anything important if you haven't esearched lol? apparently my gt gt grandfather invented an improvement to the flushing toilet .......... but some bad sales rep STOLE the patent !!!!!!!!!
<
[/b]
"Research" smells like getting up early..no way
<
<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Oh and did I mention that a relation of mine as hanged for stealing a sheep ? yes that's right .... I am descended from hardened criminal types ....... almost as bad as the mafia we are ........ hide your sheep, thistle's about (oh wait!!! that didn't sound right .......... oops)

<
[/b]
<
<

Oh dear .....sometimes you find thing you really didn't want to know lmao.

my 3 x gt grandmother had a brother who emigrated to Australia ...... one of his sons was apparently a fully paid up member of sinn fein :s

THAT I coulda done without in my tree but I spose you gotta take the bad with the good huh?

<

Suddenly some of your personality makes sense
<

My family tree somehow disappeared from the computer.... I think this means someone doesn't want me seeing where my family line comes from
<

Werbung:
<
My 4 x gt grandfather turns out to have been a smuggler!!! that's like one step away from a pirate !!! (at least in my head it is) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand he was friends with the Gypsy King (a fellow smuggler) how cool is that ?

Back