• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Fur

thistle

Would you ever consider wearing real fur? or do you already wear it? Do you consider it the height of luxury? or would you not be seen dead wearing it?

Personally I would rather go outside wearing a bin liner than fur........IMO it looks tacky and pretentious and nowadays I think we have long gone past the days when wearing it was a necessity.

While I certainly don't agree with the extremists who will abuse people who choose to wear fur shoudl we just accept that it's back and say each to their own?

Werbung:
I would go that route...

I am with you, I wouldn't wear it, but people have a right to wear whatever they want. And the extremists do NOT have the right to abuse ANYONE, fur wearers or not...

*puts hand up*
<

However......I dont' actually have a problem with an animal being killed as such, I eat meat every day so I have no problem with wearing the skin of that animal as clothing. What I DO object to is animals being killed solely because someone wants to wear their skin while the rest of the carcass is discarded

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thistle @ Oct 17 2007, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I dont' actually have a problem with an animal being killed as such, I eat meat every day so I have no problem with wearing the skin of that animal as clothing. What I DO object to is animals being killed solely because someone wants to wear their skin while the rest of the carcass is discarded[/b]

I hate these kinds of discussions because I'm always worried about sounding arrogant. But really, the cows used for leather are not the same ones that are used for meat. Cows ARE killed solely for their skins.
<

lol no worry about that Tilly, we know you well enough
<

And really? I know I may be naive but where I grew up there was a slaughterhouse about 1mile away. Now the animals that were slaughtered there were used completely, the sheepskin was turned into rugs/gloves etc etc, the cow hide was turned into leather and the bones were ground up to make bonemeal for fertiliser.

(apologies to anyone who is squeamish)

Now I just assumed that most local slaughterhouses would adhere to these same standards

:s

I would also assume that local farms would be different, they tend to use up as much of the animals as possible. I meant more in terms of the mass slaughterhouses. Maybe it's different in the UK, but here meat and leathers are mass produced and generally made in seperate... uh, farms.

I never thought abotu it that way lol ..

I always try to buy meat that is locally sourced (even our supermarket buys local meat) and try where possible to avoid buying processed meat from dubious sources but I have to say it's never occured to me where my leather shoes come from

Hmmmmm now I'm thinking

Fur is awesome in a 1920s, overthrow kinda way. That's always what I think about when people say fur. Otherwise, ever since becoming friends with a vegetarian my standards for what counts as "unnecessarily cruel" have lowered. As in lots more animal-related jazz seems a lot more horrible.... At the same time, like you T, I do like my meat
<
. I don't really have qualms if it was going to some other use anyway. And as long as I don't see the suffering....(incidently if anyone is looking for a push in the direction of vegetarianism, look up battery farms on youtube, apparently it works a treat
<
)

Hmm.
I wear no fur, no leather. It's expensive too >_< Because I do like my ska colored vans... And I had to get them custom made... There is usually leather lining where your lower ankle is... Well, that was foolish for me to get those. But I'm really happy I did +_+ Anyway, I would never wear fur... especially since I have a STRONG love for chinchillas... and the thought of hundreds of those little guys getting killed to make a ridiculous coat irritates me a lot. But, I too, think that people should have the right to wear what they want.

Oh and I don't have many qualms wearing possum furs cos those little buggers, along with stoats, have ripped into NZ's native plants and animals and left a whole lot of them endangered.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thistle @ Oct 17 2007, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
*puts hand up*
<

However......I dont' actually have a problem with an animal being killed as such, I eat meat every day so I have no problem with wearing the skin of that animal as clothing. What I DO object to is animals being killed solely because someone wants to wear their skin while the rest of the carcass is discarded[/b]

I totaly agree with you..and have absolutely nothing else to add!

Still, I avoid leather as well, because of what Tilly said...I wear it when it comes to shoes, everything else just hurts, or belts, and I do not have that many belts..I do not wear leather jackets or bags...

Werbung:
Back