• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Everyone 'should Donate Organs'

Snowbaby

Everyone should be seen as a potential organ donor on their death unless they expressly request not to be, England's chief medical officer says.

Sir Liam Donaldson wants a system of "presumed consent" to be introduced in England to tackle organ shortages. His Scottish counterpart rejected the move.

One person a day dies after failing to find a suitable donor, data suggests.

The Tories opposed the move, saying it would be better to increase the number of people on the donation register.

Shadow health secretary Andrew Lansley said: "The state does not own our bodies or have a right to take organs after death."

He said the Conservatives were committed to enhancing organ retrieval teams in hospitals and appointing more donor liaison nurses as the best way to combat any "transplant crisis".

Link

Werbung:
I actually think this is a good idea, yes we maybe already have a system whereby people can opt INTO organ donation but many people (myself included) are more likely to make the effort to opt OUT of a scheme if it goes against our beliefs.

Personally speaking, when I die I would much rather think that someone elses life could be saved by using one of my organs than have them wasted............let's face it once we are dead we don't need them do we? The present system also means the doctors have to not only break news of a loved ones death but also ask the awkward question of "may we please use part of your loved ones body to potentially save someone elses life?" ....... that is hardly pleasant for either the doctor OR the family.

The only concern I would have about this proposed system woudl be whether they are also going to apply the same rules to children ....... I'd hate to think that their organs could be removed without parental consent.

...My organs hardly even work for me... But if someone wants to be able to complain like me, they are welcome to them
<

I agree with thisty, there's not enough publicity about organ donation IMO. When was the last time you saw a leaflet or advert about organ donation?? I don't think I've ever seen either!

lol smart ass
<

I think our system definately needs some form of change ........ even something as simple as making it compulsary to state whether you wish to be a donor or not when you register with a doctor?

Yeah that in itself is a good idea. I can't exactly why that isn't being done, because on the flip side... if they could tax you for not giving your organs after death.. they would.

Werbung:
Back