• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Computer addiction

Breezenette

Hi, I'm Breezenette, and I'm a computer addict
*Hi Bree*

I don't know how or when my computer addiction started. It was probably when I first got my taste of the internet, and my mom found me this really cool online game. Basically, I use the computer almost 16 hours a day, and have been doing so for about 3 years. I'm wasting my life. I don't like hanging out with friends outside because I always think I'm going to miss something on the computer. My homework has been slipping up lately because I've been so consumed about whats on Facebook or whos online on MSN. I'm not overweight, I have the body a regular 12 year old should have, but thats not why I'm here.

I know my computer addiction is bad and unhealthy for my eyesite. But I just don't know how to stop. It's like how people are with tobacco, or alcohol.

I need help. I need a LIFE. :(

H e l p?

Werbung:
I feel for you, my friend. I'm basically the same way, except I don't have any friends to go outside with in the first place. I just don't want to go outside because it's too warm. :| I spend 16 hours or MORE a day on this baby.

I use the computer all the time all day and most of the night (whenever I'm awake), but I don't consider it an addiction. I talk to my friends on my computer, I learn stuff on my computer, and I have fun on my computer. All in the comfort of my own room. Of course I go outside every once and awhile, but my philosophy is this: I get plenty of out-of-my-room time during the school year, and plenty of time outside during the school year, not to mention a lot of work, so why not shut myself in my room the whole summer? It's not like I can do it all year, so when I can, it's best to seize the opportunity.

Most of my outside time is during the winter. During the summer I only go outside when it's cool and a good day to go longboarding. During the winter I go outside at least once a week to go skiing or snowboarding.

I spend a lot of time on the computer to . But I do not look at it as wasting my life because I am enjoying myself, meeting new people and using my talents for something.

It's not that hard to get addicted to the Internet because there's ALWAYS something there for you to discover, play with, etc. My advice is to try to wean yourself away slowly. Maybe try to cut an hour out of your internet time by taking a walk. Then start cutting out more in the coming months.

The computer is a nice substitution for life's woes. It's broken up a lot of relationships since it exploded and it's changed the definition o f playtime.

Have you tried talking to your mom about this? I am sure she can help break you of this addiction. Talk to some friends, get involved in some local activities, find some interest or hobby.

All it really takes to break it is walking away. You can choose to grab a book to read, go to a park, call a friend .. lots of options out there.

It is not something you'll be able to change straight away.. as Chris says, try to maybe get online one hour later than usual, or stop one hour earlier... join a club of some sort that will get you away from the computer and meeting other people for a couple of hours a week.. maybe an arts/craft class... do you like music> maybe learn to play an instrument or join a choir group...

That is really good advice from Stav. It is very important to build in some real life activities so that you will want to spend time away from the computer. Perhaps you could do some voluntary work or as stav suggested join a club or a youth group.

There's always something to do around the house, even if you don't want to go out. Think about other hobbies you like, too.

You could always ask your mom to help you by installing programs that limit your time spent online or certain websites. I say have your mom do it so she knows the password & you can't bypass them yourself.

A timer works well also. I use a kitchen timer for my boys, they would be online all day if I let them. They know when the timer beeps it is time to turn off the computer.

Werbung:
Have you thought about doing different things online? I have had so much fun finding out about my ancestors. It is something that you can do partly online, but it gets really interesting and it makes you want to go and check local records and to see the places where your family lived and worked.

Back