• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Bill requiring welfare recipients to undergo testing fails in IN

Allison

EDIT: can someone move this to the moans section, please? I put it in the wrong spot. Sorry!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/27/welfare-drug-testing-bill_n_1237333.html

This bill was full of hypocrisy from the start. It's unconstitutional to require testing for those on welfare. The whole point of the bill was to add to stigma already surrounding those who receive welfare, and it showed. Every time this bill was brought up on an Indiana forum, the comments had nothing to do with drug testing and everything to do with people complaining about paying for others to live and how everyone on welfare has a big screen television.

‎"There was an amendment offered today that required drug testing for legislators as well and it passed, which led me to have to then withdraw the bill," said Rep. Jud McMillin (R-Brookville), sponsor of the original welfare drug testing bill."
Now if that's not suspicious, I don't know what is. Being poor is reason enough to require drug testing, but saying that you had to pull an entire bill from being voted on because you yourself didn't want to be drug tested isn't?

Werbung:
I am on welfare. I work. I had to take a drug test for my job, and likewise think that drug testing should be done for welfare. Perhaps not for basic stuff, but definitely when it comes to cash. I don't see why drug addicts should be allowed to spend our tax paying money on drugs. I am sure that if they do drugs it is a safe bet that they will spend welfare money on it. I speak as a person that knows several users of the system that use the system to pay for their habits. I don't think they should get free money. I work for mine. I don't want to work for theirs.

I agree that if you have to get a drug test to work, then you should have to get one to receive money from anyone else. I also know people who have cheated the system. I have no problem with paying for people to have the necessities to survive. However I do not agree with paying for their habits.

Werbung:
Most people on welfare work. You aren't the only person on welfare who works. And people on welfare test positive for drug use at a LOWER rate than the general population. It costs a taxpayer fortune to conduct all of these tests. If you're worried about what your taxes are paying for, consider how much money members of congress make, paid by taxpayers. People have presented numerous bills to have members of congress tested for drugs and they refuse to ever pass those bills. If people poor enough to be on welfare should be tested for drugs, so should the congress people whose salaries we, the taxpayers, pay.

Back