• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Are you like your parents?

clauemi

The way my parents raised me and my brother is totally different than the way I raise my kids. We constantly are clashing when it comes to parenting skills. My parents were never the emotional and open type. My dad just worked a lot and when he was at home usually just ignored us kids. My mom has never once told us she loves us, I know she does but it bugs me that she is not able to be open with her own kids. We never had lectures over drugs, going to college, sex, etc... I think I just got lucky that I did not turn into some total loser. My brother on the other hand is very secluded, is 23 years old and pretty much a momma's boy. I think he is that way because my parents made him that way.
All in all I hate the way that my parents raised us, yeah of course there are some special memories and I still love my parents but I will never raise my kids the same way. I want my kids to be able to trust me and I want to be involved in their lives as much as much as I can without being overbearing.
Do you guys follow your parents example or are the opposite?

Werbung:
My mum and dad are really traditional, and I have all of their values. For example, Once you get married you don't get divorced, and that you have children after marriage, and that you never ever cheat on anyone, Which I follow completely.
My parents are patriarchal, Dad's the man of the house and right now my mum's a housewife. And that, to me in my opinion, is perfect, and that's how I'd like to live my life.

My parents were pretty closed emotionally, too. For that reason I try to be very open with all of my kids. We talk, we eat dinner at the table. We turn the TV off. These are things my parents would never do.

I'm like my parents a lot. I got a lot of my talents from them both but my personality is definitely different. My dad has always preferred to work for himself and I followed in his footsteps. I'm an entrepreneur online and offline with many business ideas. My mother always had a head for business herself and I used to help her with Avon as a teenager. Now I know how to manage my finances very well and have an accounting background to boot. Both of my parents have a very strong character and don't take any bull from anyone. I got this as well and I can dish it out as well as take it. I'm no saint and no wuss, but well balanced. ;)

I did pick up a few talents from both of my parents. I can sing. It runs in the family and Mario Lanza (Italian singer) is related to us, which is nice. I don't back away from hard work and I'm a trooper when I start something, I will finish it. It's how both of parents are and they taught us this way. For parents that never did grasp the English very well, it's amazing to see how I came out. :)

I have to say, I am like my parents in some ways, and completely the opposite in others. I am not as strict with my children as my parents were with me and my siblings. All in all, I am trying to mirror the best of my parents, and do what I think would have been a better way with the rest.

Okay, this is the honest truth. I have always wanted to be the opposite of my parents. Dad was to overbearing. Mom was the care free, do what ever you want. I wanted to find a happy medium. Unfortunately I have noticed more and more lately that I am more like my dad. I am strict and I make my kids do chores. I want to know where they are at all times, blah blah blah. But I realize that because my dad was the way he was, I have turned out to be a pretty decent human being. I don't steal, do drugs, drink, and a variety of other things most people my age are doing. So he must have done something right along the way. So here is to being like my dad.

I can see qualities of myself that come from each of my parents. I think I am a lot more like my mom in terms of being kind, generous, helpful, productive, etc. when I get angry, I can start to see bits of my dad, but as soon as I realized that I immediately squash as much of the negative habits as I came. In that sense it worked out for the best for me to have both of them anyway.

My parents and I, we have nothing in common. They're Catholics, I'm an atheist. They're intolerant, I'm tolerant. They're responsible, me - not so much:p. They're very down to earth, I'm a romantic. They're always on time, I'm always late. And there are even more of differences. Maybe this is why we fight so much.

I'm nothing like my parents. My mother is very authoritarian. Everything needs to be done her way or no way at all. I felt very stifled growing up. With my children now, I'm pretty relax. In fact, even my children say that I'm not so stern. I just want them to see me as someone they can talk to and turn to whenever they're in trouble.

I'm not like like my mom. We are very different and have different interest. She wasn't really around for me growing up so our relationship is very strained.

I am more like my dad. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it until he was dying. I calm and easy going and so was my dad. He takes people as he finds them, so do I. I miss him so much.

Werbung:
I would say in some ways I am like my parents and in other ways I am completely different. We have different parenting techniques. We also have different opinions on certain things. We do however have many of the same interests and enjoy doing the same things.

Back