• Come and join our girl community by registering for free and start discussing about girl topics, fashion, relationships...

Am I the only one

NovaDarling

All of these hard plastic faces and their airbrushed make up. I hate the fact that women who don't even look like themselves without two hours in hair and make up and the perfect lighting are supposed to be realist ideas of beauty. I hate photo shop. I hate reality t.v. I hate the music they play on the radio. It just seems like there is no substance or real beauty left anymore. Am I the only one who feels like fake is the new real?

Werbung:
I guess, you are not alone. I don't hate what they are doing because that's what they wanted to do for themselves. In myself, I never wear make up or spent more than hour in front of the mirror. I only have a clip and chopstick for my hair. I don't have lipstick, eyeliner, etc. I only have face powder to be use in times I will have an oily face. There are people who are embracing the real world so it will be more liberated and more into artificial things to make someone beautiful

It is the way of the world. Beauty standards just become higher and higher. Very few people naturally possess such beauty but everyone wants it so there is no way but to fake it. I would rather spend the hour I use doing my hair and makeup sleeping but I also don't want to be at a disadvantage since makeup is the norm and a bare face stands out as ugly (unless you're the rare beauty).

Of course you're not the only one! I used to work in journalism and sometimes I would be amazed by the contrast between the before-photosop and after-photoshop. When we are only exposed to that glossy, stick-thin, long-legged image of female beauty (or pumped-up muscular image of men, for that matter), it tends to shape our image of ourselves as inferiors. I hate to think of the kind of world my daughters are going to grow up in.. Already my older girl, just 4 years old, is talking about 'beautiful princesses' with 'very long hair'. I try to expose her to all different ideas of beauty and success.

Whenever I see someone on tv or in a magazine I just try to imagine what they would look like after they stepped outside into the rain and wind and maybe ran round a supermarket lol. However that coping strategy doesn’t really would anymore as more and more for people in my real life seem to have become world class waterproof, windproof and heatproof makeup and hair artists and are able to always present themselves perfectly. It is a mystery to me how they do it and how they can afford it. I mean a bottle of foundation is at least $11 and the amount they must use. It is even worse now high definitions cameras are available to the mass public… some of the pictures of me on Facebook make for depressing viewing lol.

You are not alone at that, I would say. But I don't necessarily hate those " make-up" women.
I love make up as well, and I don't see anything wrong with it.
But natural beauty is the best. And the beauty inside, of course. :)

It's not the make up that bothers me, its the body images protrayed by the media. I am scared that my daughter will have the same demons (eating disorder) I have because of this foolishness. It's simply unreal how much the "ideal" woman has changed over the past 50 years.

Very true. In Africa when a girl slims down, everybody is concerned about her and asks her if she is feeling well. When my husband lost a lot of weight after changing his eating habits, people started telling him: "you used to be so healthy and good looking, now you look sick!". Only in the Western world does thin=beautiful, and when we see that somebody has lost weight, we congratulate them..

It's not the make up that bothers me, its the body images protrayed by the media. I am scared that my daughter will have the same demons (eating disorder) I have because of this foolishness. It's simply unreal how much the "ideal" woman has changed over the past 50 years.

I agree with you about the media. I hate how they airbrush or Photoshop everything. Even when the model is thin enough, they must edit her to be thinner. :( I hope your daughter doesn't become another victim. If she was my daughter, I would emphasize the importance of gaining height. I'd hate for her to turn out abnormally short because she starved herself during puberty. I've seen it happen to a model wannabe classmate of mine.

I think the changes in the ideal standards of women has to do a lot with money. The standards seem to change to favor the rich. 50 years ago, a full figure was beautiful in a time when many people struggled to find enough to eat. Now, cheap fattening foods with empty calories are everywhere, to be regularly consumed by the masses. Weight loss becomes a struggle for the average person who can't find the time/money to exercise or eat healthier. Being thin becomes the privilege of the rich or the few who are blessed with a high metabolism.

I too can't stand the ridiculously airbrushed and photoshopped women in the magazines that men seem to drool over. There's absolutely no way any of us can live up to that standard in real life and so I find myself becoming angry and irritated whenever I catch my boyfriend staring at one of them, obviously wishing that *I* looked like that and knowing that I never will!!

I think the media and society has a lot to do with making women feel like they have to be made up all the time. There are all these shows and songs that portray women like they should be perfect and be done up all the time in order for them to find a significant other. Also, the media makes us feel like it's just not acceptable to be a plain jane.

I also do not like the idea that some women feel so beautiful hiding their faces with makeups. But it was their own mentality and so let them be, just i do not apply that thinking for myself. There are also reality shows that i do not like cause it seems to be scripted and unreal.

I absolutely despise modern advertising and the way they are taking away from a woman's ability to be beautiful on her own. I refuse to fall victim to it, and I refuse to let my daughter fall victim to it. Beauty is more than just a look, an image of perfection. I am beautiful because I act beautiful, I treat others with respect and I take the time out of my day to care about others. I don't spend more than 5 minutes on my appearance, beyond putting my clothes on, because my value is NOT in my looks. It is more than that, and it always will be. Women are strong, powerful and understanding, and we as women need to feel this way and stop buying into this depreciating, depressing, "perfect" look. Because no one is perfect, and no one should be perfect. You should just be perfectly you.

Werbung:

I absolutely despise modern advertising and the way they are taking away from a woman's ability to be beautiful on her own. I refuse to fall victim to it, and I refuse to let my daughter fall victim to it. Beauty is more than just a look, an image of perfection. I am beautiful because I act beautiful, I treat others with respect and I take the time out of my day to care about others.
Kudos to you lovelikewinter3! Very well stated!

It just seems like there is no substance or real beauty left anymore. Am I the only one who feels like fake is the new real?
Hey NovaDarling! Clearly, you are not alone in this. Fake is rapidly becoming the new real. I don't even bother to watch beauty pageants anymore. Everyone seemed to have tweaked parts of their bodies just to look perfect. I guess there's nothing we can really do about it now except to maintain simplicity and naturalness within ourselves. Hopefully it will also spread as fast as the "fake virus" did.

Back